Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couriers - your experience

Couriers - your experience

Since shopping online I'm beginning to find out which couriers deliver when the say they will and are worthy of high praise in my experience.

DPD has to be the winner by a fair margin as their communication with the customer about the delivery hasn't been matched.

DPD use google maps, emails, SMS text messaging. phone Apps and ask for feedback on the delivery service and ask how they can improve.

DPD will text you and let you know a 15 minute time slot when the delivery will take place.
    The App shows a picture of the van driver compete with his christian name
    - The App shows you the GPS map which shows his van and my house and tells you he's on delivery 20 and I'm number 30 on his list. It also tells you the exact time he'll deliver.

Royal Mail parcel tracker - take 5 working days. Promise a delivery on the 5 Jan at some time and don't turn up.

Hail DPD - LOL

Don't think had DPD so can't comment never had a prob with Royal Mail, but for me the worst is Hermes i ordered some boots on ebay 5th dec they couldn't even contact the courier when i rang on 12th cos no sign so company started a claim and and on 16th refunded me on 24th late afternoon they turned up!!!! I then had to pay to send them back, so for me that's the worse.

Not so good in my area
    DPD have delivered my gazebo to someone else as they couldn't find my door number
    And a cat basket was not delivered,but they forged some sort of supposed signature and insisted that a young white male had signed,despite,my son being away for three days,including the day they say they delivered

Biscuitgazer
    I haven't found DPD good at all where I live. They send an email with a very specific arrival time for which they want a signature, they don't stick to that time (and fortunately also don't want a signature), they say goods have been delivered that have not, and they invite me to change an unsuitable delivery time online, but the invitation gets to my inbox far too late to do anything about their delivery time.

Hermes is good, though I can't see how my local courier makes it pay, since she delivers in a BMW.

Parcel Force is fine as well.

That's all for delivering things. Collecting things I'm sending, that's different.

This is Royal Mail's idea of keeping you updated as to when delivery will happen.

Latest update: Good news, your item is progressing through our network and on its way.
    Item JJ711111111GB arrived at South West RDC on the 2017-01-04 and we are currently processing it.

WHAT .......

The promise this morning was a delivery today - now it's on its way!

Next time I'll use 'click and collect' from a store near me.

I think they've lost part of the consignment and are playing for time

DPD have always given me a 1 hour slot, not 15 minutes. Never had a problem with them or Hermes. Now Royal Mail, I had 4 boxes from the same place arriving on 48 hour delivery, 2 arrived on time the other 2 arrived a day later after 72 hours.

Here's the 'current' live tracking on a 'Royal Mail 48 hour Tracked' service, for a parcel I sent last year (just).

05-JAN-2017 04:09 Accepted at Inward Mail Centre Greenford Mail Centre
    04-JAN-2017 18:38 Accepted at Inward Mail Centre Greenford Mail Centre
    04-JAN-2017 11:32 Accepted at Outward Mail Centre Birmingham Mail Centre
    03-JAN-2017 08:03 Sales Order Raised
    31-DEC-2016 11:08 Accepted at Post Office

In my opinion, they're all as good or bad as each other.
    They are only as good as the staff they employ, and the relevant technology they use.
    We normally only ever see one person in the delivery chain, and very rarely see how the package is handled (probably a good thing).

For sending, I generally use Hermes (the one above was a pre-paid return), and never had a problem.
    Basic, adequate, cost-effective and reliable service.

Today I decided to go out for a coffee and butty as the promised delivery hadn't arrived despite the fact that the Royal Mail depot was just 2 miles away. I thought it would be sods law that my parcels would be delivered while out.

I returned home just after 2pm and no card in my post box to say they'd been. -So I phoned the retailer's 'distribution centre' to give them a flea in their ear about their choice of courier. Twenty minutes after putting the phone down a young postman turned up in shorts and a high viz vest on a pushbike with my goods!

I was rather amazed that he asked if I could deliver another parcel, on behalf of HRH Royal Mail, to a house three doors away - what a cheek!

Biscuitgazer
    Yes it sounds like you need to tell the company. We know our postman in this area and if he were to ask it, someone here would either deliver for him or say "no sorry", but that is only because we know our postman and he is like a neighbour to us and everyone in the neighborhood would feel the same. But it would be dodgy to ask someone else to deliver on his behalf and I have never seen it happen.

When buying online, you are of course at the mercy of which ever courier service the SELLER uses. I have had to send via courier however most notably the motor of the Benoit Lightdrive. As this is 14kg (when packed) it needs picking up and i've used Parcel2go, and they give various options, last time it was UPS.
    I've used MyHermes but for something smaller, where there is a local pick up point.

I have also tried a luggage collection service called First Luggage. NOT impressed! Travelled to Bournemouth, thought as its 3 changes on the train I'll courier my case there. They pick it up 2 days in advance. What can go wrong? They delivered it to the wrong bloody hotel!
    After 2 days with no clean clothes I was livid - turns out it had been at hotel next door.
    I used them again - but only cuz they gave me that one free to compensate.
    Last edited by reddivine; 07-01-17 at 08:07.