Thread: ESA to Universal Credit under 'managed migration'

ESA to Universal Credit under 'managed migration'

Hi there

1) So long as I don't move, and therefore, of course, don't come under UC full-service by living under a DSS office that has switched to UC, do you know if I am likely to be shifted across at the same time of receivng an ESA50? I.e. if my prognosis date is 1/7/2019, then, ordinarily, an ESA 50 will come through, would it be a case that I would be due to shift onto UC then? Or is there no method to the transition?

2) Also, separately, do you know if the Transitional Protection is time-limited, particularly with regards to the SDP I currently get with my ESA, or will it only last for x years?

3) Lastly, I currently receive 2-bed LHA as I receive informal overnight care, and Crawley Borough Council admitted their screw-up, as I showed them the relevant circular, and they backed-down, agreeing as I do receive informal overnight-care, would Crawley's letter and my GP's letter detailing why I need this, be accepted by the Social Security when it switches from the Borough Council to the whole lot in one lump?

Many thanks.

Just changing your address /moving to a 'full service' Universal Credit area will not mean that your ESA will be changed to UC, it is only new claims that will be UC LCW (or LCWRA) - existing ESA claims will remain ESA until the migration starts.

Remember that a reassessment for ESA is not a new claim, it is a continuation of your existing claim.

No one is sure, not even the DWP or the Government, just when they will start the migration of existing ESA claims to Universal Credit.
    It is currently not expected to start until at least 2019/2020, but as their timetable for UC keeps slipping it may be much later than that.

Also remember that none of this applies if you are getting Contribution Based ESA.
    UC is only replacing Income Related benefits, the Contribution Based versions of ESA and JSA will stay outside UC.

The Transitional Protection, where you are guaranteed to not get less money on UC than you do with ESA, including premiums, lasts until the rate of UC catches up.
    (Provided they don't change the law, which is always possible with any benefit these days).

LHA is a different matter, it is administered by the councils and not the DWP.
    You would have to show the new council your evidence again, if you do still have a 'spare' room at your new house for an overnight carer.
    I'm not sure just how this would be affected if you move to a 'full service' UC area.
    I think that this might qualify as a new claim with it being a new local authority, and so this might become a UC 'Housing Element' claim instead of a 'Housing Benefit' claim??
    Like I say I'm not sure about that point, you might want to take advice from the council in the area you are proposing moving to.

Just for info, even if you are not moving then your housing benefit will eventualy be migrated to UC.
    Again this is not due to start until 2019/2020, but again nobody knows for sure just when it will start happening.
    There is no Transitional Protection for UC because the rates for HB und UC HE will have/shoud have been aligned by then.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hi there

Thanks for that