Thread: Power of Attorney advice

Power of Attorney advice

I have lasting power of attorney for my grandmother who has dementia. I've sent in a copy to her credit card company so that I can access her account. I've been dealing with her account for months but it was flagged recently because I hadn't realised I hadn't sent in the power of attorney document to them (they were the only one I forgot - I thought I had sent them to everyone). They asked me to send in the document which I did straight away. I sent them as a special delivery and they received them on 14th November. In my experience it takes about 4-5 working days to get the documents registered on the account so that I can get access. It's been 3 weeks now with her credit card company and they still say they're "in the process of verifying the power of attorney". I've phoned multiple times only to be told to call back in a couple of days and it should be done. I've had 3 advisers tell me they've sent an email to the back office (who deals with POA) to escalate request and hurrying it up. The last call I made to them was this afternoon. Still nothing has been done. They've said it was escalated on the 29th November and they can't give me a time frame on how long it will take to be registered. They said it's a separate department and I can't speak to them directly. In the meantime, I can't use the card or access the account online. I received an email this morning telling me the monthly statement had been issued but I can't make a payment because online access has been suspended. I told this to the adviser who said I could make a 3rd party payment but she couldn't tell me how much I had to pay without the account holder going through security (which she can't do because she has dementia!).

Does anyone have any experience with POA? What are my options here? I keep getting fobbed off when I call in and I've tried calling age uk for advice but they gave me the citizens advice consumer services number which I can't get through to. My grandmother has a large bill due come January which I had been intending to use the credit card to pay but I won't be able to if this isn't sorted out. I just can't understand why it's taking so long. I sent in the complete document with the certificate of registration and fully certified so I don't know what the hold up is.

Any advice is appreciated!

It took over a year to sort out POA for my mom who is in a nursing home. Why put a bill on her credit card? Why not pay it out of her bank account? If it is a utility or regular payment it could be on a direct debit. I'm sure if you contact the creditor and explain the POA situation they may grant extra time as its bascically a cash flow situation.
    Well not exactly, instead of owing the creditor, she will be owing the credit card company.
    I hope you kept a copy of the POA document.