Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets talk about something NEW

Lets talk about something NEW

Y'know I joined this forum for the varied variety of subjects. Every time i log on 9/10 posts are about ESA PIP and benefits.
    Lets start a thread about something else for petes sake!
    Whats everyone doing for Xmas??

Not a lot, only hubby and I with our doggy who is our Christmas now there are no longer kids about. Love to watch her opening her pressies, paper ripped all over the place. Gone are the days when I had a house full, sadly, I used to love that but struggle even to cook for the 2 of us now.
    Christmas Eve I will be online buying all birthday and Christmas presents for next year. Delivered to the door, no hassle with crowds and save a fortune as well.

brightonbelle
    my adult daughter will be abroad, so it will be just me.

Had invite from bestie to spend Christmas day with her and her huge family. politely declined. She and her partner and kids are great, but every new year I hear the same thing from her - mother in law moaned at everything, parents argue, step kids only visit for their presents (don't bring any) so her partner quite rightly gets the hump, but takes it out on her. Shes run ragged cooking etc, but declines all offers of help (shes a bit like monica from friends - its her kitchen and shes the hostess).

So, because I'm used to sharing the child when she was young with her dad (alternate Christmas day access) I don't get hung up on the whole idea of "family Christmas". Because in reality how many of us have a happy family and its all sweetness and smiles like on the ads. For some, its like that. For others they keep themselves busy ie volunteering. I think of the the many people who have no secure home at this time, and those who are really hard up and have as meagre Christmas as they do the rest of the year. Been there.

So my plan is Christmas eve will be my Christmas. I shall cook the full meal and enjoy it, and save enough in the freezer for chrismas sunday roast well into February. I have bought myself gifts - exactly what I want. They aint wrapped and still in the delivery boxes, waiting to be opened. Que surprise!! :-)

I shall give thanks that this year I have enough to enjoy my simple life. May end up skyping with said daughter if she finds five minutes. Bestie will come round in the evening to escape the family.

Christmas day I shall do something I rarely do. I shall stay in my pj's all day and not feel guilty, I wont cook but will set out a cold buffet. I wont watch Christmas day tv. Instead I am going to spend the day watching loads of films and imagining I'm 30 years younger as I watch tom cruise or hugh jackman save the world. sigh.

Boxing day I haven't got planned. I do like some element of surprise at crimbo

BB

Hi reddivine I've started posts that aren't about benefits so have others but they just end up becoming about them. I don't really do christmas I get my folks and nieces stuff usually give everyone else vouchers or money, I think unless you have kids it's not really a time for adults outside of watching the movies and sticking up cards. Cooking is difficult and cos of tum probs have to be careful. If I lived by the sea i would prob go to the beach with sarnies and flask of soup at sunrise and just be there with a good book. My ideal christmas would be to go to lapland, my favourite one i've had was about 17years ago at euro disney i think you're never to old for that.
    Well that's christmas for me hope everyone as a good one whatever they are doing.

Biscuitgazer
    Really looking forward to Christmas this year. I'm in a way the opposite of brightonbelle, in a way the same...love/hate family get togethers! My mother and I are both quite religious and like to go to our church on Christmas Day, which is miles to travel. The rest of the family are atheists and like a family day, and my mom and I find ourselves a little bit alienated in the group owing to slight deafness. So we've been torn in the past. But we've bitten the bullet the last couple of years and gone to family...And this year is also not a big expensive consumerfest because everyone wants to do Secret Santa.

I'll be trying to make cards, (have to see how that goes because my hands are problematic this year).

Love the idea of keeping the Amazon deliveries for the Big Day, brightonbelle, when things get delivered it always feels like a present, even the things I ordered! We've got a pair of new lightweight suitcases on the way, for our Australia trip in January, maybe it'll be fun to leave them wrapped...

Christmas eve will be chaotic,trying to fit my three children,their partners,four grandchildren,one dog,and an ex mother in law into my new, smaller living room
    We will have sausage rolls,cava and fireworks,and all open presents
    The teen will go home with his nan,as it is his dads turn to have him( we alternate)
    Christmas day,my eldest son will collect me for a nice quiet Christmas dinner,just four of us
    Boxing day,I have been invited to dinner by the parents of the teen,s boyfriend

deebee your;e sorted there! i thought I'd TRY to get us talking about somat else. As i said no big plans here either. Son has to work every day except xmas Day. So he may be here OR at his dads (We havent sorted it yet). I gonna go away New Year to see the fiance.
    Cue manic train journeys....
    But no, I shall enjoy NOT eating too much. My slimming world promise is to LOSE weight over christmas, and I'm going to damn well try (whilst enjoying a glass of Bailey's)!!!

Reddvine, I'm always up for talking about other things on this forum, I suppose I can never think of something to write as a topic.

For Christmas it will just be my mother, grandmother and myself and my dog. We don't have much in the way of extended family really and none that live around here anyway, but it's usually nice anyway, with nice food and presents.

How is your slimming world journey going? My mother is a member from this summer and she finds it very good.

It is, and I stick at it, even tho I can't exercise much and I have my "wobbles". I occasionally have to give myself a talking to and get back on plan cuz when you been doing it a while, its easy to think...."well that was only a TINY dessert, can't be that bad...."
    Tell her good luck and stick at it!

Well I went Christmas shopping today,to get a couple of bits for try he grandchildren.
    I don't know if you remember me saying on a previous thread that I wanted to treat myself to some new curtains but did not know if funds would stretch
    Well I found some in the sales for a tenner

Was really pleased with them,but whilst looking at the size labels of the clothes I wS buying for the grandchildren,I put the bag down and somebody swiped it ?