Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NHS dental treatment, what's that?

Quote Originally Posted by adexico View Post
    birdwatcher - maybe a misunderstanding.
    It's not a certificate as such, it's just a personalised letter confirming entitlement to benefits.

Phone the office that deals with your ESA claim and request a 'letter of entitlement'.
    If you're on a joint claim, ask for the other beneficiary to be named on the letter also.
    Thanks for replying.

I have one of those, so that's fine. I thought you meant the HC2 certificate, sadly they wouldn't allow me one of those as I am now entitled to the free care, but it was easier when I had one, as that's better to carry then the entitlement letter, well for me it is in my mind!

So with these awards, you do not have to pay any tier? Am I understanding right? Or do you still have to pay?

I have never had any problem getting a HC2 issued, like you say it makes things easier if you can whip one out (ooer missus).

I have IR ESA, I have a prescription exemption certificate, they still give me another HC2 every year when I reapply.

It maybe down to what you put on the HC1 application form (I just say I get ESA not which one, and then in the remarks box say I'm asking for a replacement of certificate number ####### that expires on ####).

Perhaps if you just put on the application that you are getting ESA, and don't put IR, CB, or which group, they may just issue you with one rather than asking for clarification.

(A bit sneaky but you are entitled anyway. - Make it easier for them to do what you want rather than to question things, and they will probably do what you want and issue one).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Yes, I did just put ESA and not which one, but they looked into which one, according to the letter and the amount I get (which I had to put in the form) proves I get some income related benefit, so I didn't need to be issued a replacement certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    I have never had any problem getting a HC2 issued, like you say it makes things easier if you can whip one out (ooer missus).

I have IR ESA, I have a prescription exemption certificate, they still give me another HC2 every year when I reapply.

It maybe down to what you put on the HC1 application form (I just say I get ESA not which one, and then in the remarks box say I'm asking for a replacement of certificate number ####### that expires on ####).

Perhaps if you just put on the application that you are getting ESA, and don't put IR, CB, or which group, they may just issue you with one rather than asking for clarification.

(A bit sneaky but you are entitled anyway. - Make it easier for them to do what you want rather than to question things, and they will probably do what you want and issue one).
    they stopped issuing me with HC2 certs after they changed IB to ESA they told me that they do not issue HC2's for people on IR ESA
    I have never had a problem getting free glasses or dental care or prescriptions without the HC2 , though i did get a couple of erronous charges from the prescriptions service because someone in the chemist ticked the wrong box
    Last edited by tom34; 30-11-16 at 22:01.

I keep getting those charges because the chemist has ticked the wrong box,have had five or six
    Usually ( five out of the six) they are really nice and just cancel it when I ring in to explain
    One time though they were quite rude and said I must always fill them in myself
    I tried to explain that for separate prescriptions',I fill them in myself,but that my monthly nomad tray comes ready done ,and I don't get to see the paperwork,but the man insisted I must fill it in

So even if you are entitled to free work with the HC2 or the relevant benefits, you still have to pay even for a filling or X-rays?

I thought everything was free unless you wanted something the next step up, like white fillings?

As I found out dentists are cherry picking, I'm on IRESA which gives us both free treatment, anyone can apply for an HC2 on the grounds of low income and may also qualify for free dental NHS treatments any could find themselves in the same boat.

My dentist signed both Smiler and myself up as NHS patients but doesn't seem want to do any work. I can't work out if it's because we're not paying NHS Costs or something else?

Remember some medicines can do terrible things to your teeth, so treatment isn't always preventable. Anyone could find themselves though no fault of their own, needing dental treatment they can't afford.

I get fillings and x rays free of charge and crowns
    I am on income related esa
    I cant get my bridge repaired unless I pay
    I pay fifty quid a pop for the hygienist

I haven't paid for fillings, extractions or X-rays. Implants are not 'generally' available though.

This link may help, but another consideration is that maybe the availability differs between England, Scotland, Wales and N.I.
    http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1781.aspx?CategoryID=74

Note the paragraph "Some people do not have to pay for NHS dental treatment – see Who is entitled to free NHS dental treatment in England?" (No mention of the other UK countries.)

Quote Originally Posted by deebee View Post
    I get fillings and x rays free of charge and crowns
    I am on income related esa
    I cant get my bridge repaired unless I pay
    I pay fifty quid a pop for the hygienist
    Bridge work is included in band three, and it would cost £233 as an NHS patient but as you are on income based ESA would be done free of charge as would a basic filling or check up and everything in between, your dentist seems to be cherry picking.