Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NHS dental treatment, what's that?

I am in the process of having 3 implants, only having them because the teeth on the other side are taking a big hammering. Will be lovely to be able to chew on both sides again. It is a long drawn out process as the posts have to be given time to fix themselves into the bone

NHS? Or are you having to pay for these

Sadly I am having to pay for them, can only afford them because of an inheritance and I thought why not, I can't take it with me so I may as well have the benefit. Very painful after the posts are inserted and your face blows up like a balloon.

Ouch!
    Hope you feel better soon
    I think I would have them if I could afford them

Thank you deebee, I had the posts placed in my jawbone at the end of September, that was the painful bit, next is the screw bits put on top of them at the beginning of December then sometime after that impressions made for the teeth. As soon as they are ready the teeth will be fastened to the posts then hopefully a mouth full of teeth. Will have taken about 4 months from start to finish.

I did, in the past, have one of these bridges that clip over the teeth at each side of the gap. I couldn't get on with it as it cut my gums to pieces and gave me dreadful mouth ulcers so I had to give up on that. If it had been fine then I wouldn't have even thought about implants.

Ive been attending my community dentist for years, completely free even though I work ive also had a lotvof 'conservation' work done at dental hospital. The community dentist sees people with health conditions, elderly and the very young. However treatment is very limited, no crowns etc I have partial dentures top and bottom provided free (are these like the 'bridges' you talk about?) My condition affects my teeth and I haveva high risk of jaw fractures during treatment.

Broke another tooth over the weekend - very badly.
    Went to the local Dental Access Centre (walk-in, no appointments).
    Extracted, at no cost.

To use the NHS service for charge-exempt services, ALWAYS take your exemption confirmation form.
    My wife is the ESA (income related) claimant, but I am NAMED on the form.

http://www.nhs.uk/Search/?scope=&q=dental+access+centre

Its a shame it's changed so much, fifteen years ago my grandmother got her dentures done for free on the nhs, I just had a look as I think my mother needs to move to them soon (big dental fear) and it's band three charges, over £200!

My grandmother also, about five years ago, sat on her dentures and broke them, they gave her another new set at no charge either.

Only a few years ago I went as an emergency treatment and it was free, now even that is £20!

What do they do if people literally cannot afford it?

I've always been willing to pay for extra, I've paid for white fillings before as I like the look of my teeth and have a bit of an obbessive personality, so I knew I wouldn't like the silver, I would always be looking at them!
    Last edited by birdwatcher; 29-11-16 at 22:20.

Quote Originally Posted by adexico View Post
    Broke another tooth over the weekend - very badly.
    Went to the local Dental Access Centre (walk-in, no appointments).
    Extracted, at no cost.

To use the NHS service for charge-exempt services, ALWAYS take your exemption confirmation form.
    My wife is the ESA (income related) claimant, but I am NAMED on the form.

http://www.nhs.uk/Search/?scope=&q=dental+access+centre
    Can I ask ow you got a certificate?

I applied, but the NHS denied me as I am entitled to free care already, so they wouldn't provide me with the HC2 certificate.

birdwatcher - maybe a misunderstanding.
    It's not a certificate as such, it's just a personalised letter confirming entitlement to benefits.

Phone the office that deals with your ESA claim and request a 'letter of entitlement'.
    If you're on a joint claim, ask for the other beneficiary to be named on the letter also.