Thread: Disabled Facilities Grant

Disabled Facilities Grant

I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience regarding the disabled facility grant? Holding this is the right place to post. Sorry if not.

Hoping to apply to see if i can get funding towards by bathroom.
    Currently the bath goes across the window, meaning I am
    Unable to open or close the window due to mobility problems, which in turn is causing the bathroom to become damp. It smells damp all the time and I am having to leave the fan on which is costing a fortune. Not just that, the condensation is sitting all on the windows and growing mouldy and I am unable to reach it to clean it.
    On top of that, it has a bath with shower attachment but I struggle to get in and out of the bath.
    I am unable to stand safely for long periods of time so shower is out of the picture, but I use the attachment to wash my hair. The question is, does the grant enable one to get an accessible bath, the ones that the door access. I am once in, it's just the lifting my leg up and stepping in/out.
    Also, where I'm guessing the bath wasn't designed to use the shower attachment in it, there are no tiles at the end where you'd sit, so all the water goes all over the painted walls.

Main priority would be an accessible bath as at least then I could get in and out of the. With and also clean and open the window. But ideally I'd like the bath moved to the other side?
    Does anyone know if they do this sort of thing? Or is simply, only swapping a bath for a shower and then you have to pay to finish off the bathroom, tiles etc.

First port of call is an OT assessment if you dont have an OT your gp can refer you. OT may be able to provide an electric seat or other aids. Not sure if the damp issue would be covered. Also check out Direct Payments, these can be used for a one off payment of an aid such as a stair lift. You will need a social worker to access Direct Payments. Disabled facility grants are very time consuming and generally used for larger adaptions, ie building an extension for ensuite/bedroom, which we got about 8 years ago now . Took 2 1/2 years from OT assessment!

I recently had an OT visit,which I arranged through social services
    I waited around three months and she has visited twice more since,the last time with a surveyor
    The OT will ask what daily living problems you face and make recordation's to alleviate them
    They may be different to which you prefer
    Mine recommended a walk in shower
    They are going to completely remove my bath
    I do not mind,as am grateful to be getting the shower
    My council has agreed a disabled facilities grant for this
    The work will commence around march

They will also do the tiles and floor

Our bathroom was too small for a wheelchair accesable shower room hence we needed extension it cost a wopping £40,000! Mainly because the ground needed piled, which they only discovered after they had dug out the foundations, we spent 9 months arguing over who was liable for the extra costs, inbthe end the disabled facility grant coughed up the whole amount with us only paying £1,000 for architects fees. It was a horrendous time.

Last month my mother-in-law has shifted to my home and dealing with mobility issues like can't walk and stand. My friend recommended installing a freedom shower (walk-in shower) that can be the best option as a replacement for bathtubs as they come with built in seat, designer shower head, and non-slippery floor. So for my mother-in-law, I too installed a freedom shower in our bathroom by the professionals walk in tub Spokane(http://www.walkinbathtubwa.com/) team. You can also ask for such luxurious bathroom entrance to the contractor you have hired for bathroom up gradation.

cbchapman, oimum is right in that first point of call is OT assessment. If all you have now is shower-over-the-bath or indeed no shower, then their are aids, such as a swivel chair, or bath bench that together with a carer mean you can shower sitting down.

Don't get your hopes up re the DFG. By all means try, but remember its a fixed pot which means if the LA has given all the money in grants already, the moneys gone. Its a GRANT not a right, so you may not get it.

Can you afford to pay a cleaner to come in and do the bathroom, say once a week, it would keep the condensation down? Do you have any heating in the bathroom?

Bathrooms are notorious for condensation and mildew or mould.

The reason why mildew gathers on the ceiling is due to lack of air circulating.

A ceiling extractor that comes on when you turn the light on helps reduce condensation but it's also better to have the bathroom window ajar all the time.

Also don't hand wet clothes on the radiator to dry off - the room is too small to spread moist air about.

If the grout on your tiles has mould growing on it you can remove it by putting bleach on it for 20 minutes then rinsing off.

Keep the bathroom well aired is the key.