Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post missing?

Post missing?

I created a thread on Friday but it doesn't seem to have appeared?

Can you look into this please?

Thanks

hi ive posted 4 times in last week but nothing showing lol

Some of mine don't appear either.

I've even sent a message to the 'contact us' email address - and never had a reply.

Maybe some of the regulars on here should consider operating their own forum, as sometimes it seems pointless posting on here; especially considering the nature of the forum.

Any suggestions?

Same issues here - I've said it before and I'll say it again - the current moderation system doesn't seem fit for purpose and I believe it hinders over than it helps.

When it happens to me I get disenfranchised and either don't post what I want to say in its entirety due to the fear it'll get lost in the system or don't weigh in because I may just regurgitate the same advice.

Doubt anything will change or be acknowledged though, I've sent so many E-mails, never received a reply.

Z

What you may not know is that a lot of websites in the UK have been suffering a massive spam attack this last week or two, it was especially bad last weekend.

This has hardly been reported in the national media, unless the attack hits big business they are not interested.

When you are fighting hard to keep the idiots off your site, and keeping abuse and advertising out of public view, it is inevitable that things are going to be disrupted for genuine users and that some posts are going to be delayed or even go missing altogether.

'Whatdotheyknow.com' the main website for making freedom of information requests in the UK had to shut down for a few hours the other day because of it.
    You can read about that attack and their response here:
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/blog

The website where I moderate has not escaped, I personally have banned/deleted over 1,000 new user accounts set up by spammers in the last 2 weeks. (Wouldn't even like to estimate how many spam posts I've deleted).

Although I can't speak for the mods here (and the admin here rarely speak for themselves) I would expect that this site has been heavily hit as well.
    Probably more heavily hit due to the nature of the site.

At the worst a site will have to close down for a while, like whatdotheyknow had to, so that the mods can get on top of things and try and get measures in place to stop the attack.
    No site wants to do that but sometimes its the only way to handle a large attack.

Why do the spammers/hackers do it?

Sometimes its for money.
    Believe it or not spamming is not illegal, and some firms use it to try and get rankings on google and and other search engines higher.
    This is called 'Search Engine Optimisation' and SEO firms are big business. (and many are legitimate and don't use spam tactics).
    Of course posting spam links like this doesn't work anymore, and the small firms actually paying for their services don't realise that their company name is being linked with spammers - until its too late and google demotes their ranking for spam links.

Sometimes they are practising for a bigger attack.
    You do hear about the large DDOS (Distributed Denial of Service) and other attacks on big business, government departments, and the like.
    The people doing this practice their tactics on forum websites and other 'soft' targets.
    These include well know groups like Anonymous or Chaos Computer Club, lesser known 'dark' groups, and even government agencies.

Sometimes they are just idiot teenagers (up to 50 years old teenagers) who are messing about because they can.
    Last edited by nukecad; 16-11-16 at 14:37.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hi,

I've made 2 other posts in the last few days that haven't appeared, this being the 3rd one I'm wondering if this'll go off into Narnia and join its mates?

Those annoying pesky spammers!

Who exactly ARE the mods on here? I know Flymo used to be, but he has retired due to failing health. Perhaps they could nominate other mods to share the burden (as you can do on Facebook?) And also somehow instigate a private message function?

nukecad. Thanks for the info, but why do regular's postings get delayed/ deleted?

Is it just random, or is there an algorithm (or something) within the text of the message that highlights a genuine message as being spam?

As Zed has commented, it appears that any help and assistance given at a particular point in time for someone in need, seems to be meaningless by the time it 'might' appear. Also, the result is that posts don't get the response they deserve; and genuine respondents get frustrated by the moderation of their replies.

Flymo was never a mod here, just a memebr like the rest of us.

I'm pretty sure that the mods here are not drawn from the members but are employees (or volunteers) of DLF.

Many 'professional' fora have a mod team who never post and are never seen by the members.
    This helps keep the moderation impartial, and also avoids abuse and other attacks on the mods.

Website Moderation is a recognised career these days, and can pay quite well for those with experience, training, and qualifications.
    Duties and responsibilities will vary depending on the website you work for, as will whether you are a visible or invisible mod.
    If you do an online search you will find a variety of moderation jobs on offer.

Of course a lot of fora don't have the funds to pay moderators, this is where volunteers come in, usually recruited from established forum members who have shown themselves to be level headed and helpful.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Of course a lot of fora don't have the funds to pay moderators, this is where volunteers come in, usually recruited from established forum members who have shown themselves to be level headed and helpful.
    Which is what I do, I was a long established member of a forum before I was invited to join the moderation team. I did it on a 3 months trial for both parties involved, several years later I am still moderating there.