Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Home broadband options.

Home broadband options.

Hi Peeps, hope all well under all circumstances (especially Nuke & glad to hear you allowed home). Well, after reading other post ‘xmas tv’, and having just scanned all channels on freeview, absolutely nothing of real interest (from best part of 100 channels), currently sat with the 2 Ronnies in background, and decision now made time to upgrade to home broadband! Previously and currently rely upon open/public wifi service and payg broadband dongle for private/personal matters (banking, purchases etc!), hence reason for this post, looking for advice and help on options available, as per our circumstances.

Briefly, as far as telephone contact is concerned, we do not have a land line & have for past decade relied and succeeded with our mobile phones. Previous tenant obviously had landline as there is BT connection/junction box outside our home, as there are with all others. We also have the white telephone socket to which landline telephone is plugged into-it is simply that we do not have a live line!

Not really interested in having landline installed, unless absolutely necessary, for as it may be cheaper in long run as this increases our options. Would only use landline for internet access, as say if needed to go down that route.
    Having seen so many deals advertised (without line rental charges although realistically, may still need landline to access these ‘deals’), does anybody have any advice/opinions in easiest way to gain home broadband (from which we could also run added tv programmes as a bonus…or need!) and preferably, not extortionate monthly costs.

To add to circumstances, the only items that would be run off home broadband would actually be 1 laptop and 1 tv enabled device to increase choice.

TY for any and all replies

I'd suggest you checkout Virginmedia if it's in your area.

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/bundles.html.html

Further to the post from Lighttouch,if you enter your postcode on this page it will show what's available.

As blue says, check what you can get and not what they want to sell you or what you think you need.
    Advocated for a guy a while back and while sorting through his mail I seen that he had a virgin 200mb media deal costing £96 a month.
    When I spoke to him he said he had a phone call (cold call) and he signed up for this movie, sports and tv broadband deal as the guy said his internet would be better.
    All the guy ever done was surf online. When I checked his speed his home was only reciveing an average of 3mb.
    But he was told he needed the package for better broadband.
    Oh and the hassle I had trying to cancel it as it was a 12 month contract and I had to prove I was his advocate and able to speak on his behalf... gggrrrr

Cheers, peeps. Will bear all of above in mind.

Wondering if any members in the same boat and how they dealt with getting home broadband?

Will let you know of any results.

I too have Virgin, but the link bluebeduin put up shows a comparison site where you'd see all kinds. Do a lot of research online first. Great deals usually last for 6 months and then they wham you with a price hike!

Don't just order online,

Get on the phone and negotiate a deal, you will find that some will offer to reconnect the landline FOC if you sign up to their package with line rental.
    It can cost up to £160 to get the line reconnected otherwise.

Have a look online for reviews in your area, talk to some locals if you can, pick 2 or 3 suppliers that seem like the best for you; then get on the phone and ask why you should go with them and not the others and what extras and deals they can throw in.
    Don't get pressured to signup there and then, say you want to phone one of the others first to see what they will offer. (and do it).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

yep another virgin here.

I went for broadband only, for 27 squid a month, as I never use a landline

The speed is great and no throttling at peek times. I guess its gone up a little bit more now

Whether or not you need voice calls or not , in order to get Broadband via the BT copper telephone line you will have to pay line rental to someone be that the same company you want the bb with or a different provider, no copper pair rental ,no bb

In some areas there is Fibre optic to the house , but some companies like BT want to chargew line rental even though a copper line isnt required , as for virgin media cable with in coax not fibre optic or twisted pair copper offering bb only i would be surprised or if they do they will charge a premium, The way things have gone in the ISP industry is that bb has gotten cheaper because line rental & calling plans call costs, set up fees and TV packages are subsiding that cheap price

As for the existing line it may just need restarting the cost for this is quite low compared to new line installation fees, which the only ways out of paying that are by taking a lengthy contract period bundle type packed from the same supplier, money on some of these can be saved via cashback web sites
    Last edited by tom34; 31-10-16 at 18:42.

Quote Originally Posted by spencer69 View Post
    Cheers, peeps. Will bear all of above in mind.

Wondering if any members in the same boat and how they dealt with getting home broadband?

Will let you know of any results.
    I have seen quite a few complaints about VM it all will depend on where you live and if the node is getting overloaded or not, if near to universities or student accommodation then expect congestion