Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Home broadband options.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    oimum, yes it does include VAT, we pay £33 a month and make all the phone calls anytime. We always have several mobile calls that are chargeable, mainly workmen who can't be contacted during the fee free time.
    As for broadband speed, doesn't matter how fast it is, if your computer cannot cope with superfast broadband then it is a waste of money
    Not many PCs in use that would be so miserably specified that they could not use a decent broadband service.The minimum spec for BT Infinity 1 &2 (37MBps & 52MBps) is a 2GHz CPU and 2GB of ram........2GHz CPUs came out in 2001..........
    Screen only needs to be XGA so the specs in computer terms, to meet superfast broadband requirements is ancient.
    PCs that do not cope are badly maintained ones, poorly made ones, not often older ones....
    I have a few PCs , one of which has a 1.6GHz cpu.............This runs my BT Infinity 2 just fine.
    To top it all, in real terms the cost of a computer is peanuts now, no excuse not to have a good spec one.

Well, I for one am not changing my laptop just to be faster. I have had this HP for almost 4 years and it does what I want it to do. I don't stream, watch TV or Catch Up or even listen to music so really do not need high speeds.
    I can think of better things to spend my money on and it will only be replaced when it becomes unrepairable. My 4 year warranty doesn't run out until mid next year so if it does break down before then it will be repaired or replaced if repair is not possible.

Not sure of your point here......Who told you a 4 year old laptop could not be used for high speed broadband?
    At a guess I would say your laptop is probably an HP Pavilion, the lowest spec of these is a 2.2GHz Intel Pentium B960 with standard 4GB of 1333 GHz DDR3 ram....... more than enough for broadband speeds.........and that is the entry level model.
    Last edited by stree; 13-11-16 at 13:38.

Yes it is a Pavilion, as I say I don't do anything that would benefit from high speed, don't even watch utube.
    Not a problem anyway as our area does not have high speed broadband.

Brief update! After promising myself I would wait until new year and not to get bitten by the 'deals bug', I spoke with Uswitch for advice on deals for my area and flip up between plusnet or sky.

After everything I had read on posts here, advice given and speaking with uswitch, situation is I plunged for 12 month contract, broadband/phone deal (although not be using phone) for £15 per month! Only added charges are £20 for new line installation/connection (as current landline been dead for past decade), £10 router delivery and £15 per month once connection up and running, hopefully 24 hours after engineer visit-2 weeks today! Also told 1st bill to land on 24th December and so on which works well with my banking dates!

Just thought also no further need for dongle charge of £10 per month which I used for banking and online purchases-this will therefore go to 2/3rds of new monthly bill!

Also neighbour has been with sky for past 4 years and never heard her have any problems, although her package broadband includes TV and phone.

Any advice/comments welcome on my choice of supplier and deal obtained-like to know from the experienced if good, bad or average.

Many thanks for all prior responses.

Is your package with Sky including anytime phone calls? Do you have to have TV as part of the deal because that is the one thing we don't want.

Hi beau, not so sure on the phone call front as we wont be using line to make calls-purely for broadband use. We will both still stick to our payg mobiles, as we have done for past decade and suited us both well. From calculations, our deal with Sky will effectively be costing us £8 pr month ontop of previous ooutgoings-another reason for opting for this package is to enable us to run something akin to nerflix/chromecast due to miserable TV/freeview offerings, even with over 100 channels.

My neighbour, who has 1 of the top packages with TV, HD, box sets etc, has advised that without calls her pack costs approx. £70 pr month, but can rise to £90 if she uses phone! Saying that I understand that some calls are free!

The only matter I do regret, is that as I wanted some verbal confirmations from Sky before plundering forward, and signing up over the phone, we have lost out on the £75 reward card which is only available if signing online...

If you're thinking of looking at the package we have just signed upto, the deal is available until 4th December. When I called, phone was answered within 2 minutes and speaking to a real human being!

Thank you Spencer.
    We pay £33 a month for broadband and anytime calls including line rental. I think that will take some beating but I may give them a ring next week, the last thing we want is a dish on the side of the house and TV is rarely used anyway. We are one of the rare households who could well manage without a tv at all

I've just signed up for another 12 months of Sky broadband and anytime calls. No TV but I do use my landline phone. I was paying £33/month but after some (word for word Money Saving Expert) haggling they have offered me £21/month. So might be worth a try, am sure it varies from area to area. I think I have (!?!) fairly fast broadband, I do have a Smart TV and use iPlayer, etc a lot with no problems. If you don't need this then it may make it cheaper.

Will definitely give them a ring and see what they can offer. Does that price include line rental? Need to know my facts before I ring. Our £33 includes the line rental.
    Last edited by beau; 25-11-16 at 18:33.