Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on NHS Trust formal complaint re- no support

Update on NHS Trust formal complaint re- no support

After 3 months I have received a reply from the NHS Trust regarding our formal complaint over the non-provision of support for myself as a disabled single parent and sole carer for my Autistic 21yr old son.

As it's an 8 page letter I'll keep it short!, basically they have agreed with almost every point I raised, they have admitted we have not received support for my son or provided me with a carers assessment in 2 years of asking, I have finally received a copy of his care plan which was made in November 2009! and only then after another formal complaint, as we never received it it's never been signed an agreed to.

They are pushing the majority of his care needs and progress towards independence onto his personal assistant which is a slight problem as we had to let her go on March 4th when (despite our income not changing) Durham Council have decided we can pay almost £50 a week towards his Direct Payments, the only change to our income is that when he turned 20 he came off my IS and started his own ESA claim, the actual amount of money we have coming in has stayed pretty much the same give or take a few £ a week with benefit changes.

They have also agreed his care co-ordinator and his manager failed in almost every respect and have not provided the level of support or communication required, his manager even suggested she had written to us but "couldn't find the letter".

As for what happens next, my son has a new care co-ordinator, I'm being referred to another department to assess my needs as a disabled carer and they still think his P.A. is providing support for him.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by phaedra View Post
    After 3 months I have received a reply from the NHS Trust regarding our formal complaint over the non-provision of support for myself as a disabled single parent and sole carer for my Autistic 21yr old son.

As it's an 8 page letter I'll keep it short!, basically they have agreed with almost every point I raised, they have admitted we have not received support for my son or provided me with a carers assessment in 2 years of asking, I have finally received a copy of his care plan which was made in November 2009! and only then after another formal complaint, as we never received it it's never been signed an agreed to.

They are pushing the majority of his care needs and progress towards independence onto his personal assistant which is a slight problem as we had to let her go on March 4th when (despite our income not changing) Durham Council have decided we can pay almost £50 a week towards his Direct Payments, the only change to our income is that when he turned 20 he came off my IS and started his own ESA claim, the actual amount of money we have coming in has stayed pretty much the same give or take a few £ a week with benefit changes.

They have also agreed his care co-ordinator and his manager failed in almost every respect and have not provided the level of support or communication required, his manager even suggested she had written to us but "couldn't find the letter".

As for what happens next, my son has a new care co-ordinator, I'm being referred to another department to assess my needs as a disabled carer and they still think his P.A. is providing support for him.
    they would expect his dla to be used as payment and if he gets the right rate CA too
    has he got dla ? and is it at such a rate someone could claim CA too ? and be paid a mix of dla and ca thats what its for

He gets DLA, LRM and MRC so we claim carers allowance. As it is we have enough to live on and as neither of us drink, smoke or have any sort of social life outside his shooting which is his only hobby and the only thing short of force that will get him out of the house.

It's a bit of a catch 22, while his PA was here she could take him shooting by bus one night a week or to clay pigeon once a fortnight with me having to drive as she can't. Even if he gave up shooting and stopped saving up a few £s a week for a holiday which would leave both of us with each other 24/7/365 we still couldn't manage to find almost £200 every 4 weeks.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by phaedra View Post
    He gets DLA, LRM and MRC so we claim carers allowance. As it is we have enough to live on and as neither of us drink, smoke or have any sort of social life outside his shooting which is his only hobby and the only thing short of force that will get him out of the house.

It's a bit of a catch 22, while his PA was here she could take him shooting by bus one night a week or to clay pigeon once a fortnight with me having to drive as she can't. Even if he gave up shooting and stopped saving up a few £s a week for a holiday which would leave both of us with each other 24/7/365 we still couldn't manage to find almost £200 every 4 weeks.
    you say "we" live on I think social services would expect his bills to be covered from dla ... thats why they are asking for £50 as they must know what he has coming in ............ bet they expect his esa to be used for his share of house bills and balance and dla to be used for PA ........ you say we cant find £200 but he can......... £1 to a penny thats what social services will say

the £50 a week has not been pulled from thin air ........ if he was on higher rate care they would have asked for more

there is a thread somewhere on B&W where someone questioned the amount asked for by social services ..... it was found the dla was being used to support family like putting money in the pot not ringed fence for sick persons needs ....... will try and find it for you

That's pretty much what they are saying, while he was on my IS as a young adult in full time education (college was in effect just day care for him) they assessed my income as too low to count, now he has his own ESA they say he can afford the £48 a week even though in reality we still have the same amount of money coming in.

We do live as a "couple" he has almost no contact with his mum who left 6 years ago so yes, all household bills etc. are shared between us, he couldn't live on his own as he doesn't have anywhere near the capacity to do so, that's the main thing we are trying to address and have had no support for over the last 2 years, I did get a copy of his care plan this week, it's dated Nov 2009!, that was when we had the meeting to discuss the outcome of our first formal complaint for lack of care provision.

Having had a couple of days to try and look at the letter objectively and with the help of my ex-wife we've discovered a huge amount of inaccuracies in the information the investigation was provided with by my sons care co-ordinator, his department manager and the local authorities care assesment team. Even having read it twice I'd missed most of these myself.

After two days of re-reading what had been written and checking it against my own massive box of documentation (I do keep everything I get from them) it's ended up with a three page reply politely but firmly pointing out the errors (some of which are complete lies) and referring the Chief Operations Officer to the relevant correct information which shows a complete lack of any support, communication or even interest in the care and support of both Jared and myself for the last six years.

I also failed to notice a mention that his new care co-ordinator was appointed in January, as of today (two months later) we still have not been informed of this or had any communication from the new team at all, not a good start to them doing things properly this time either I fear

Just a quick update.

Had another phone call from a Trust Complaints manager, they'd read my 3 page reply but the investigating officer is on holiday until April 24th, I asked if it was a long holiday as I'd rang him twice a week for the last 3 weeks and been told he was on holiday every time

She's said that when he gets back she will be on holiday but has left instructions for him so we should get a further reply by the end of May!.

I also asked her if she'd done anything about his care co-ordinator or the new team as it's now 3 months since they were appointed (without us being informed) and they still haven't even got in touch and let us know they exist let alone provide any support!.

the words Bl@@dy and Hopeless spring to mind . . . .

Is there anyone else you can raise this with, the ombudsman for example?
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

a complaints committee based at hospital but independent of the trust

I forgot about them. I need to remember them, I may yet need someone to complain to.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen