Thread: Introduction

Introduction

There doesn't appear to be anywhere to introduce yourself as a new member so this seems as good a place as any.
    I was a member of the old youreable forum some years back,not sure if anyone would remember me.
    I gave up work over 20 years ago to care for my wife when she became disabled.We,like so many others,had problems getting the dla at first.I was convinced that they refused everyone the first time around but now know that's not true.
    Our son had a heart attack five years ago & was dead for ten minutes so is now permanently brain damaged.He is unable to talk,walk or do anything for himself.He was awarded dla & pip indefinitely first time.Because he's in a nursing home he doesn't actually get the cash as it goes towards his care costs.I'm convinced he should get the mobility component as a physical payment but have been told not.Does anyone know different & have supporting evidence?

Someone else will be able to give you more detail but appeal appeal appeal.

CAB, Benefits and Work Website, 4 UP and many other resources people can mention.

I do have this unpleasant feeling that as he's in a nursing home they may still use that.. Anyone else know of a similar case?

Hi Bluebedouin, if your son has a Care package totally funded by the NHS he'll not be entitled to DLA Mobility but if his Care package is joint funded by the NHS and your Local Authority he is entitled to DLA mobility.

BTW I remember you well Sorry to hear of your son's plight

Thanks for the replies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Number7 View Post
    Hi Bluebedouin...I remember you well ...
    Hopefully in a good way!

My mom is in a nursing home and I believe that the NHS will fund his care as long as he needs medical care in the home (which he obviously does).
    All his assets will be off set against cost of care.

It depends who is responsible for funding the ongoing care:

If it is the Council / Social Services then it is means tested and you have to pay for it yourself, using any income you have and selling off any assets that you have.

If it is the NHS then it is not means tested and you keep your income and assets.

Many who should be having their ongiong care funded by the NHS are being wrong moved to Social Services and losing their benefits income, their saving and having to sell their former homes to fund the cost.

A friend of mine was in this situation with his mother recently, where Social Services wanted her to sell her house to fund care home costs.
    He challenged it and won.
    (Sadly she has since passed on, so would have sold her house to pay for just 6 months care).

The way to challenge the funding decision is to check out 2 fairly well know court 'test' cases, the Coughlan Case and the Grogan Case.
    The legal teams at the Councils and the NHS know about these cases but hope that the public don't.
    They continue to try and get individuals to sell off their homes to pay for care unless they are challenged.

Obviously the rulings in these cases will not apply to every case, but they do apply to many.

It is also worth noting that the government changed the legislation so these cases were against old legislation.
    But just the threat of taking your case to court using these rulings as precedent gets them backing down, they know that they would lose.

Here is more about the 2 cases, and how to use them if necessary:
    http://caretobedifferent.co.uk/the-c...ntinuing-care/

My friend just mentioned in a meeting that he would be instructing a solicitor to challenge the Local Authority decision about his mother, citing the 'Coughlan Case', (he didn't know about 'Grogan' at the time), and within a week they had backed down and agreed that her care would be paid for by the NHS.
    Last edited by nukecad; 15-10-16 at 22:31.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Just calling here to introduce myself as heading said.
    I'm Maureen live in Belfast Northern Ireland I'm a born again Christian have been for nearly 14yrs. I'm an animal lover and have 2 dogs an American Bull Dog and a Chi Pom half Chi hau hau/Pomeranian..2 ferrets was 9 once..1 cat..1 cockateil see animal lover right.
    My 3 sons 1 daughter have all fled the nest and have kids themselves. I live with my husband this past 43yrs. BOTH were married at 18yrs of age so we've grown up together. Well think that's me done. HELLO every one.

Hi maureen Im also from N.Ireland expect there will be a lot more of us soon now pip has been introduced. Hope you get whatever advice or support you need from Forum x