Thread: ESA – long time coming

ESA – long time coming

Like others I’ve had to go through the ordeal of this whole ESA business. I was first notified about assessment back in January, and only now (October) have I received a letter confirming my ‘support group’ status. For the past year I’ve felt like a condemned prisoner awaiting execution.

On a positive note I’d like to praise the ‘qualified healthcare professional’ who assessed my case. I was dreading a face-to-face assessment - I’m not the best person to interview, as I do not suffer fools gladly, and a fool is anyone who doesn’t agree with me. But this young woman was extremely kind and sympathetic. I would go so far to say that she was ‘on my side’, expressing astonishment that I was being assessed at all, given my age (55) and disability. In the questionnaire she basically answered her own questions: “You have difficulty in walking short distances, would that be correct?” and so on. She concluded by saying that she would recommend that I be placed in the support group.

Of course a recommendation by a healthcare professional is not binding, so although I had a good assessment it was still a worry - a nightmarish situation that I might be forced into - and this played on my mind for eight months.

hi well done, that was a long time to get place into a group, but at last it is done regards

Good news for you. BUT I think it is unaccepable that anyone should have to wait that length of time to hear the result. I find that disgraceful.