Thread: Self employment help with ESA

Self employment help with ESA

Hello everyone,
    I work p/t self employed Window Cleaner for 3years now, i pay class 2 N.I.
    I have just had an opperation for a inguinal Hernia, 29/09/16, Advised not to work for 6 weeks. due to healing process.
    We recieve around £84 WTC. weekly , H.ousing . benefit Would i be entitled to ESA,
    If so would this affect my WTC
    i bring in around £135 wage per week atm
    Would it be worth applying for , if so how much could i recieve ,
    Thanks
    Last edited by hommer; 10-10-16 at 10:46. Reason: mistake

You could, in theory, apply for contribution based ESA which is £73.10 per week. You would need a fit note from the doctor and satisfy the NI contributions.

http://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/emp...ribution-based

The working tax credits would not affect the contribution based ESA as savings and other income do not affect contribution based benefits.

However, you should report a change of circumstances to tax credits and the council as contribution based ESA is counted as income.

All this information is based on the assumption that you are not earning any money now.

You also say 'we' in your question. Depending on whether your partner is working or not you may be eligible for income based ESA. Without further information it is difficult to comment (working tax credits are counted as income for income based ESA) There may be other options depending on the situation re: your partner.

Sorry, it is complicated. My best advice is to make an appointment with CAB to see what you might be entitled to or just apply for ESA and go from there.

Just remember that this is a change of circumstances so you need to inform any department that you receive benefits from about your new circumstances.

partner not working, only child tax credit and working tax credit, family allowance for 1 child coming in. thats stopping tomorrow as son has left college and decided to sign on
    so in fact it will only be WTC coming in for the next 5 weeks

Is there a reason why your partner cannot work?