Thread: Warnings in some titles.

Warnings in some titles.

I was just reading a thread about PIP text messages and the thread had a lot of details about rape and abuse in quite a bit of detail.

I was just thinking that this forum will attract many people with different problems/illnesses and disabilities, some could be those with PTSD and it's possible some were the victims of rape or abuse, some could be members with other issues who have also had to face these things.

I just wondered if, when these things are talked about in a thread not titles as such, it may be a good idea to add on a warning to the thread title, so those who have experienced things like that can avoid the thread in case it sets off trauma.

I hope this thread is ok, I don't mean any harm, it's just a thought I got.

So they can make an informed choice whether they want to read it or not before reading half way through the thread?
    I read the thread and decided too continue reading.. If anyone was unable to read it as soon as they realise it's about rape or abuse they could decide at that point not to read on?

Quote Originally Posted by Sasherish View Post
    So they can make an informed choice whether they want to read it or not before reading half way through the thread?
    I read the thread and decided too continue reading.. If anyone was unable to read it as soon as they realise it's about rape or abuse they could decide at that point not to read on?
    Yeah, it was just a thought I had, some other forums put warnings on things like that, just because, for some, as soon as they start to read the material it's already triggered them.

But if everyone else is okay, it's all good. I just worried someone may have a bad time accidentally reading some things and it will take them back there.

I know what you mean. I try to revisit the memorys when I'm at home and feeling safe. And to remind myself that I am safe now, so that I don't always connected bad feelings/emotions to the trigger, if that makes sence? I'm now trying to explore what I would do if the same thing happened now I'm an adult, and what I would do, but manslaughter is the best I can come up with so maybe I should just accept that those things shouldn't have happened and there was nothing/is nothing I can do about it.

Hopefully if anyone (that couldn't cope with the trigger) reads the above post, they will also benifit from the advice that I have had and be able to progress with their own healing.

As I recall that particular thread started out as a question about text mrssages, moved into general questions about the claim, and it was only as the thread progressed that the OP became comfortable enough to talk about the abuse.

It's a tricky area, especially for the forum moderators.

At what stage do you put a warning flag on a thread?

If you do put a warning flag on a thread is it likely to attract trolls? (Probably would in my experience).

If you start putting warning flags on threads is it likely to stop people sharing their experiences? (Because they don't want to be 'flagged').

If you start putting flags on posts for one reason, then why not for another? (Where do you stop?)

Like I say it's a tricky subject, once you start looking at it you soon get into questions of censorship and freedom of speech.
    Last edited by nukecad; 03-10-16 at 18:07.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasherish View Post
    I know what you mean. I try to revisit the memorys when I'm at home and feeling safe. And to remind myself that I am safe now, so that I don't always connected bad feelings/emotions to the trigger, if that makes sence? I'm now trying to explore what I would do if the same thing happened now I'm an adult, and what I would do, but manslaughter is the best I can come up with so maybe I should just accept that those things shouldn't have happened and there was nothing/is nothing I can do about it.

Hopefully if anyone (that couldn't cope with the trigger) reads the above post, they will also benifit from the advice that I have had and be able to progress with their own healing.
    I'm so sorry about your experiences. It seems you are working towards having a coping strategy for yourself which sounds really good for you in the long term.

I hope you didn't mind me posting what I did, just as I was reading I was hoping it hadn't sent anybody to a bad place.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    As I recall that particular thread started out as a question about text mrssages, moved into general questions about the claim, and it was only as the thread progressed that the OP became comfortable enough to talk about the abuse.

It's a tricky area, especially for the forum moderators.

At what stage do you put a warning flag on a thread?

If you do put a warning flag on a thread is it likely to attract trolls? (Probably would in my experience).

If you start putting warning flags on threads is it likely to stop people sharing their experiences? (Because they don't want to be 'flagged').

If you start putting flags on posts for one reason, then why not for another? (Where do you stop?)

Like I say it's a tricky subject, once you start looking at it you soon get into questions of censorship and freedom of speech.
    I don't want to censor anyone or stop anyone from posting anything, although we were having quite a few issues with posts not going through and all having to be moderated for days before posting, which in a way is censoring our posts.

I know one forum I used to be on was very strict and full of rules like that, you literally were not allowed to title your thread anything obscure in case the content made people visualise something not nice. I wasn't a fan of that at all.

Maybe once an explanation of something like that has been brought up in a topic a flagging, or even an edited thread title, maybe the thread title with *possible triggering subject inside*.

It was just a little thought though.

It's a good thought.

I was just trying to point out that before you start any kind of 'flagging' system all the implications of it need to be carefully thought out.

As you say above, if it's not carefully considered then it can get (or seem to get) too strict.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

No not at all, I took it a bit personally at first to be honest but realised it wasn't anything to do with me and that you were possibly struggling with your own issues? I completely understood. Aww bless you and thank you for your concern and possitive words