Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing address

Changing address

i
    I HAVE RECENTLY BEEN PUT INTO THE SUPPORT GROUP ESA. BUT THE COUNCIL HAVE TOLD ME THERE MIGHT BE A LARGER PROPERTY AVAILABLE FOR ME AS IM CURRENTLY IN A HOUSING ASSOCIATION BEDSIT. WHAT I WANT KNOW IS. (1) IS IT A SIMPLE CASE OF JUST NOTIFYING DWP ABOUT MOVING & YOUR CLAIM CONTINUES ?.( 2) ARE YOU PENALISED FOR MOVING ADDRESS I.E ARE YOU TREATED AS A NEW CLAIM? (3) WHAT FORMS DO THEY SEND YOU REGARDING CHANGE OF ADDRESS (4) ARE THERE ANY DELAYS IN PAYMENTS? (5) DO YOU HAVE TO NOTIFY THEM BEFORE OR IMMEDIATLY AFTER YOU MOVE?

There are no issues with moving. All you have to do is call them & give them your new address. Make sure you arrange with the Post Office to have mail forwarded though, for a time, as often it gets sent to the old address for a while. There are rarely any forms, just a call is enough.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

I would let the DWP know just before your move - otherwise as Stephen says there shouldn't be any problem with your ESA and any other DWP benefits. They will continue as normal.
    What you need to watch out for is the Housing/Council Tax benefit situation. First check that the new property won't be classed as too big for your needs and therefore subject to any Housing Benefit restrictions.
    You might be able to claim a social fund grant to help with your move - check that out in advance with the DWP. You also might be allowed a period of overlapping Housing Benefit - ask your Council about that.
    You will need to make new claims for Housing and Council Tax Benefits. If staying in the same Local Authority area that should go smoothly, but don't assume anything and don't delay claiming.

Well, you are right Carn, but also wrong. Telling them before can confuse them. Then can list you at the new address before you have moved, or have you listed as living in at two addresses. It all depends on how the person you speak to does it. This can complicate claims & other benefits, such as Housing Benefit, etc. I feel it is best to tell them the day you move, & have mail forwarded for about 6 months, yes, as long as that. Housing Benefit you do have to inform beforehand, for reasons you state.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Thanks for the replies. after reading & hearing so many negative stories in the press & on t.v. i was quite relieved & surprised to be placed in the support group without a medical. As for changing address i will call DWP & housing benefit the day after i move. I would like wish all other members good luck with there battle wit ATOS & the DWP.

Quote Originally Posted by Carneucopia View Post
    I would let the DWP know just before your move - otherwise as Stephen says there shouldn't be any problem with your ESA and any other DWP benefits. They will continue as normal.
    What you need to watch out for is the Housing/Council Tax benefit situation. First check that the new property won't be classed as too big for your needs and therefore subject to any Housing Benefit restrictions.
    You might be able to claim a social fund grant to help with your move - check that out in advance with the DWP. You also might be allowed a period of overlapping Housing Benefit - ask your Council about that.
    You will need to make new claims for Housing and Council Tax Benefits. If staying in the same Local Authority area that should go smoothly, but don't assume anything and don't delay claiming.
    Council houses are not affected by housing benefit restrictions, only privatly rented hpuses are.

I got a P45 through the post this morning so rang DWP to ask & its because im now on ESA contribution based support group. BUT THEN I WAS TOLD EVEN THOUGH IM IN THE SUPPORT GROUP THEY ARE GOING TO SEND OUT AN ESA 50 EVERY 12 MONTHS WHEN I WAS PREVIOUSLY TOLD IT WOULD BE EVERY 3 YEARS. SO EVEN IF YOU GET PLACED IN THE SUPPORT THEY ARE STILL GOING TO HARRESS PEOPLE ALL THE TIME.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by ToGooD2BeTrue View Post
    I got a P45 through the post this morning so rang DWP to ask & its because im now on ESA contribution based support group. BUT THEN I WAS TOLD EVEN THOUGH IM IN THE SUPPORT GROUP THEY ARE GOING TO SEND OUT AN ESA 50 EVERY 12 MONTHS WHEN I WAS PREVIOUSLY TOLD IT WOULD BE EVERY 3 YEARS. SO EVEN IF YOU GET PLACED IN THE SUPPORT THEY ARE STILL GOING TO HARRESS PEOPLE ALL THE TIME.
    get use to it........final plans could be as often as every six months

Sometimes ToG we worry about nothing because we do not know the facts. In the world of benefits moving can be one of the easiest aspects of benefits, or the hardest.

As to ESA, never believe anything you are told by them or any of them about any benefit, or us. Reason being, so as it is said the rules are changed now, lol.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Jayne29andholding
    I am thinking of moving from a house in England to a bungalow in Scotlamd.
    I receive IB and DLA, will moving effect my benefits?