Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ESA reassessments to be scrapped?? (for some).

ESA reassessments to be scrapped (for some).

It's been announced that ESA reassessments will be scrapped for those with "life long, severe health conditions".

Just what "life long, severe health conditions" means is yet to be decided.

And there is no mention here of Universal Credit, which is going to replace IR ESA.

Still it's a bit of progress, hopefully it will prompt changes to UC and PIP as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37526324
    Last edited by nukecad; 01-10-16 at 05:37.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I've been thinking a bit more about this, and it's a real game changer in it's implications.

It changes the whole ethos behind ESA and the WCA's.

It implies that for the first time- having certain medical conditions (besides cancer) will automatically qualify you for ESA Support Group.

This is because:
    1. They come up with a list of medical conditions that mean you do not need to have reassessments because you are unlikely to improve.
    2. It then follows that having one of these conditions means you should not need an assessment in the first place (for the same reason).
    3. It also follows that having one of these conditions should put you straight into the Support Group; because if you are never going to be reassessed then you can never be found fit-for-work, so doing Work Related Activities would be pointless.
    Last edited by nukecad; 01-10-16 at 07:37.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Woken up early and read the news too. This must surely be good news, at least for some people. I guess we need the detail of exactly what "life long severe health conditions" means, but at least it's an acknowledgement that there is a group of people who can't work. And yes people in this category must be put in support group, otherwise makes no sense at all.

It's hard to see how this cannot be applied to PIP for certain groups too. I particularly hope this makes things easier for young people who reach 16 with lifelong DLA but then their parents have the stress of PIP and ESA. I've got friends in this situation, and it's so unnecessarily stressful.

I too am hopeful this means never having to go through the anxiety of ESA reassessment.

I transferred from a lifelong award of Severe Disablement Allowance to the ESA support group, just two years ago. Fortunately I did not have to go through an assessment then, nor again at my recent reassessment, although obviously the threat is always there and the ESA50 completion causes its own nightmare of mountain high paperwork.

My life changing injuries will never improve nor 'grow back' and I will never be able to return to work, so it really did feel a complete and utter waste of money to pay Maximus to 'assess' me, even if that was a paper only assessment.

Of course as nukecad says, the devil will be in the detail but I really hope this decision will help both me and the many other people who suffer disabilities and illnesses that will never improve.

Its hopeful, but in the same way bad.

What has been suggested (among those with CKD) is a quick letter to MP to ensure certain conditions ARE included, such as CKD/MS etc.

The problem is, even with SOME of those long term conditions, some people ARE able to work.. So there needs to be equally more support for those that are able to work with long term conditions.. My CKD isn't going away, ever, but there are those medically in the same situation that DO have the energy to work!..

Never simple is it!

It always was a stupid time wasting idea - we all knew that didn't we.
    Sea Queen

I've been watching news on this ms, huntingtons, and high spectrum aspergers were mentioned, it seems you'll be assessed and if you have one of the conditions that there's no changing then you'll never be reassessed again. Guess everyone will just have to wait to see if fall into that box. Think i'll just see how it plays out

I have severe COPD and at my first assessment for both ESA ( put into support group) and PIP ( Higher Mob and standard DC) in 2013, I had both with the next assessment set for 2023. Yes, I realise they can be called for anytime, but I think there is significance in the length of the awards inasmuch that they recognise the long term non-reversible and chronic nature of the disease.
    Thus I fully expect at least severe COPD to be one of those nominated for no longer requiring repeat assessments.

Quote Originally Posted by freedomeagle View Post
    I've been watching news on this ms, huntingtons, and high spectrum aspergers were mentioned, it seems you'll be assessed and if you have one of the conditions that there's no changing then you'll never be reassessed again. Guess everyone will just have to wait to see if fall into that box. Think i'll just see how it plays out
    Also congenital heart dieases, me

Yeah right!

This sounds a bit like the old specified illnesses category that we had decades ago that Tony Blairs Government got rid of (I think)

I'm not holding my breath on this announcement! My ESA50 went in 10 days ago what's the chances of another interrogation in the near future? I guess 100% chance.

I suspect it is likely that it'll only apply to new ESA claims, so if your already on ESA you'll be hounded further at least for the next 9 years, until the Tories are booted out again! And even then there's no guarantee that anything that is currently in place will be scrapped or amended, don't forget a lot of MPs in the house of Commons voted in favour of welfare reforms in 2010 not just the conservative ones.

The only thing that does occur to me is Mrs May's mother had MS, so she is in a better position than some to understand the needs of someone with a chronic condition, and I think the whole point of WCAs was to weadle out the scivers that they thought where on the sick.

I read somewhere that even Margaret Thatcher thought the sick and disabled where off limits for welfare cuts in the 80s! But Herr Cameron targeted them/us, this is maybe part of the reason Mrs May is planning amendments to the ESA claims procedure.