Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PIP Mandatory Reconsideration rejection including mobility total turn around !

PIP Mandatory Reconsideration rejection including mobility total turn around !

Good morning all
    I am new to this site and am really writing on behalf of my daughter. She has been receiving DLA since the age of 17, she is now 26, and recently applied for PIP. Her decision was made on 27/7/16 and she was awarded top enhanced mobility but no daily rate. I wrote a letter for reconsideration as her daily needs meet the criteria for most of the questions. She was diagnosed at 17 with epilepsy after having her first grand mal seizure in the bathroom - locked in. Her fits then continued and she was obviously put on medication by her consultant. As time elapsed she also developed absence and tonic clonic ( jerking) seizures and her memory has delapidated ever since.She also suffers from depression ( sometimes severe) and anxiety. In light of the daily consequences of these various seizures I wrote asking for reconsideration on her behalf and she authorised the letter.(I organise most things for her including her medication, money and travel). Yesterday she received the decision stating that she has not been awarded any daily rate and has now not been awarded any mobility ! I have read on several sites that the removal of awards was possible but am dumbfounded that the mobility score can be downgraded from 12 points to 0 especially after the detailed letter that was sent detailing her daily life and the daily dangers and consequences of her conditions. All this said - my question here is - is this really legal for the mobility to be downgraded from 12 to zero ? I will be appealing through the correct channels but just wanted to establish if this has happened to anyone else.
    Many thanks for taking the time to read this and look forward to any response.
    Thanks again
    Marie61

Yup! I was awarded enhanced care standard mobility, put In a change of circumstances and was downgraded to standard on both. I have highly aggressive MS and am now in a wheelchair. I hobbled in a fashion Into my first f2f on 2 sticks, a year later with 5 more scars on my brain and now in a chair I am supposedly better? I know the decision was made in Belfast but come on, I now know where Paddy and Mick are working! DWP Belfast! Its maddening but you just have to play their f#%@£ed up game!

Quote Originally Posted by Marie61 View Post
    but just wanted to establish if this has happened to anyone else.
    Many thanks for taking the time to read this and look forward to any response.
    Thanks again
    Marie61
    Hi
    Don't worry you are in good company, although to be honest your daughters result was alarmimg to say the least.

Usualy a MR request comes back 'unchanged', they simply rubber stamp the original decision.

The success rate at appeal (tribunal) is quite favourable, with about 67percent of appellants winning their case.
    Last edited by TanyaG; 29-09-16 at 22:31.

Quote Originally Posted by terry01 View Post
    Yup! I was awarded enhanced care standard mobility, put In a change of circumstances and was downgraded to standard on both. I have highly aggressive MS and am now in a wheelchair. I hobbled in a fashion Into my first f2f on 2 sticks, a year later with 5 more scars on my brain and now in a chair I am supposedly better? I know the decision was made in Belfast but come on, I now know where Paddy and Mick are working! DWP Belfast! Its maddening but you just have to play their f#%@£ed up game!
    Thanks for your response. If you are 'supposedly' better I would hate to think what you would be like if you got worse ! I am going to appeal anyway and see what happens. I am a fighter when it comes to my kids as we all are.
    PS Sorry my sons name is Paddy ! He definitely doesn't work for DWP tho ha ha .

I must admit I was quite shocked by the backward move but I will appeal and hope for the best. To be honest it feels like 10 years ago when it took me 8 months to get her DLA sorted !
    Sorry - this message was for Tanya. I will master the site soon - only joined today !

Has she been downgraded from 12 points to zero? Or has it gone down to say 6 points?

What did you put in the MR letter and did you describe her struggles she has daily on the PIP form and how she fits the descriptors?

If so, well I just cannot believe it (although of course I can, sadly), because your daughter clearly needs care help.

Ha ha. You've got to just keep going as frustrating and maddening as it gets. Go through MR then to tribunal if you need to. That's what I am gonna do. Always ask here too before you send anything off or whatever the guys here will keep you right and help as much as they can. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Has she been downgraded from 12 points to zero? Or has it gone down to say 6 points?

What did you put in the MR letter and did you describe her struggles she has daily on the PIP form and how she fits the descriptors?

If so, well I just cannot believe it (although of course I can, sadly), because your daughter clearly needs care help.
    Morning - yes it went down from 12 to zero and in the letter I described everything and more right down to the fact she cannot bathe without anybody being at home as she has seizures of one type or another in the bath and I need to listen caerfully so I can pull the plug and get her out. Usually I sit at the top of the stairs ! With regards to mobility and getting from A to B her absence seizures mean this is impossible because she tends to walk out in front of cars etc and forgets how to get places - last week it was her nan's she forgot how to get to !

Morning Birdwatcher
    She has been downgraded from 12 to zero ! In the MR letter I put full details of all our daily life right down to the fact that she cannot bathe when nobody is home as she has had seizures of one kind or another and I have to listen carefully so if she does have a fit I can get in and pull the plug and get her out. I have even re-hung the door to open out and not lock so I can get in quickly.
    With regards to the mobility and getting from A to B she cannot alone due to the absence seizures and often walks out in front of cars or forgets how to get places. Last week she forgot how to get to her nan's !

Well, I'm so sorry, I'm disgusted that you haven't received it. It's shocking, but not surprising sadly, it makes you wonder sometimes if they make it up as they go along! With my first DLA application I was awarded nothing, put in a MR, got only LRC and then another MR and LRC and HM. All from the same forms!

Maybe look at writing another MR letter, I'm not sure what else you can put if you have outlined strongly what her problems are, but just give it another go and hope you get a better decision maker.

I'm so sorry though. Maybe someone with more knowledge can help you further, I just wanted to express my shock and sympathy to you.