Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Plastic Fivers.

New Plastic Fivers.

Had one of these yet?

Someone told me that they are supposed to last longer than the paper ones.

Mine didn't; they were spent just as quickly as the old ones.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boohoo.gif 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.8 KB 
ID:	1676
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Yes, got a couple a few Saturday's ago. When I spent one in the shop the lady thought it was a fake as she hadn't seen any. I've saved a couple of my first ones, I don't know why, I like that they are so entirely new.

There was a guy who sold 3 of them on ebay for £460; but that was because he had managed to get them with a AA01 serial number.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37450223
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I got one out of the ATM today. I thought it wouldn't fold but it did and it is now creased. Whether it will flatten out is another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    I got one out of the ATM today.
    Funny we were talking at lunch break about how you never get a fiver from an ATM, literally years since I have, but we're obviously all wrong! Will select other amount option next time and request eg £25 and see what happens.

Only a few ATM's dispense fivers, not all. Luckily I live near one that does. Yours may not.

Tesco express gives you five pounds, our local post office also do, you don't always have to ask for say £25 to get a five, they usually give some fives if you ask for £30.

Interesting article in the Times on the endurance of these. Ways to destroy £5: plastic failed the microwave test - paper survived. Plastic failed the candle flame test, paper survived. washing machine? Paaper survived at 40 degrees (i can attest to that), failed at 90.
    wine and food wiped off the plastic.
    I can't help see archeologists in 500 years time digging down and finding this immense layer of plastic for the early 21st century - "we have no idea what caused this.." In museums you can see roman coins, what exactly are they going to find from 2017....a pile of indestructable plastic strangling the world....

At my nearest train station there is a specific five pound machine,so if you ask for £60 you get 12 fivers
    When I was young,slim,and able to wear jeans, I was always washing a fiver in my back pocket!

I got my first new plastic 5 pound note yesterday, I have to say the first words out of my mouth where, thank you (for the change) blimey it looks like Monopoly Money. I did hear a discussion a couple of weeks ago about the new 5 pound notes and one warning was they have a tendency to stick together (I'm gonna try to make sure I don't put them in the same compartment until there worn in a bit)

I find it strange that we now have to pay 5p for a carrier bag in order to reduce the amount of plastic we are producing, whilst at the same time producing these new fivers. What were they thinking!

And on the topic of money watch out they're after our pennies!