Thread: Holiday Abroad

Holiday Abroad

Hi guys

I'm in receipt of ESA & PIP & currently abroad on holiday in Spain to see my expat parents.

I will have been here for 26 days which is under the 28 day maximum so I know that's fine.

My question is: how often can I come abroad to see my parents without it having an affect on my benefits?

I'm not after taking the piss planning 300 holidays a year but wanted to come back Spain in December for Christmas & New Year - especially as I haven't spent Christmas with them for 14 years!!!

Any thoughts?

Slash

Hello slash1975

This is a really tricky question to answer as getting that information out of the DWP is nigh on impossible - it shouldn't be, but it is.

Did you inform the ESA department of the dates of your current holiday? As we are supposed to do. I did, then had my ESA stopped. Why - because I didn't then recontact them on return of my 14 day holiday, to tell them I was back!
    They did reinstate my ESA once I told them I was back from holiday.

Quite where they thought I was going to be at the end of my 14 day holiday, I do not know. So now, not only do I have to tell them the dates I am going on holiday, I have to let them know I am safely back.

I did try finding out (should I ever win the lottery) just how many holidays a year I can have, the DWP did not reply.

Good luck in your search for the answer to your question.

Hi Bubles

I haven't told them as I was under the impression that as long as it's under 28 days then everything is fine.

In trying to actually contact them about being on holiday while in Spain, it was impossible as no landline or mobile network allows calls to either 0345 or 0845 numbers.

The reason I'm ere is for my Dad's 70th birthday so genuine reason for the holiday here & not been abroad since November 2015 - for 4 days in Portugal - for my 40th!!

Hope I'll find out summat out soon

Slash

Quote Originally Posted by Slash1975 View Post
    Hi Bubles

I haven't told them as I was under the impression that as long as it's under 28 days then everything is fine.

In trying to actually contact them about being on holiday while in Spain, it was impossible as no landline or mobile network allows calls to either 0345 or 0845 numbers.

The reason I'm ere is for my Dad's 70th birthday so genuine reason for the holiday here & not been abroad since November 2015 - for 4 days in Portugal - for my 40th!!

Hope I'll find out summat out soon

Slash

You have started something now, you would not believe how many stories come out the woodwork re holidays abroad.

I never tell them now, I did call once, (the thread is on here somewhere but really can't be bothered looking for it) and told them I was going on holiday, call was answered by a very disinterested call handler who said I didn't really have to tell them unless I was going out of the country for 28 days. I didn't have to fill in any forms, I didnt have my ESA or PIP stopped, I didn't have to tell them when I got back.

We are leaving the country for a 26 day holiday in two weeks, this will be my 3rd holiday this year and No I haven't told them about any of them.

waits......

The question is
    how often can I come abroad to see my parents without it having an affect on my benefits?
    I actually saw a FOI request and answer about a very similar question yesterday.

Part of the DWP's answer was: (my highlighting)
    There are no limits on the number of short-term periods abroad. As long as each absence is
    temporary (not over 52 weeks) and, on their return, they continue to satisfy the conditions of
    entitlement to ESA then they remain entitled to ESA.
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...40%20Reply.pdf

Interestingly, reading the full reply they seem to be saying that if you go abroad for more than 28 days you will only get paid ESA for the first 28 days; BUT as long as its less than 52 weeks then your ESA claim remains open and payments will restart when you tell them of your return.
    Last edited by nukecad; 28-09-16 at 18:40.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.