Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 8 mph Mobility Scooters and Epilepsy

As this person is 'driving' a vehicle for which a licence is required, and they do not have one; then they are committing an offence.

Just consider the implications of an accident, and your personal thoughts of the consequences following such an incident; with you having the full knowledge of the circumstances of this person.

Although a very difficult dilemma for you, but have you considered reporting your concerns to the police anonymously?

https://www.police.uk/information-an...me-anonymously

No this person is not using a vehicle for which a licence is required, they have had to surrender their licence due to the fits, but a 8 mph mobility scooter on the road.

My mistake. I misunderstood your comment, and also what I'd read.

However, surely this person has a duty of care so as to not endanger other road users or pedestrians; and follow the rules-of-the-road as per the Highway Code.

However, surely this person has a duty of care so as to not endanger other road users or pedestrians; and follow the rules-of-the-road as per the Highway Code.

Precisely, this person does not care at all, goes at full speed in pedestrianised areas instead of 4mph as well.
    I still think they are a danger to be on the road because of the fits but there appears to be no legislation about using a scooter on the road by someone who has fits.

AGAIN. Can i point out that when a person has a fit, they will lose consciousness and grip and the scooter STOPS. The danger is rather to the person fitting and I would not think the road is a risk worth taking. Also the sudden stop could cause someone behind to crash.

When someone is in a CAR, and has a heart attack or fit, then theres a danger they will lose control and crash. The motor is running till engine killed or brakes applied. And this has happened, we know.

AGAIN. Can i point out that when a person has a fit, they will lose consciousness and grip and the scooter STOPS. The danger is rather to the person fitting and I would not think the road is a risk worth taking. Also the sudden stop could cause someone behind to crash.

I think so too but this person seems oblivious to danger. I know of several incidents where they have been a danger and even witnessed one of them myself. The number of people who know them have made comments to me about how they think this person is an accident waiting to happen. Even their spouse says they dread a police knock on the door when they are out on the scooter.

Surely, it's no good people mentioning the issue to YOU, they (and/or you) need to do as I mentioned in post #21 - tell the Police.

It's in the interest of everyone/ anyone who may be involved.

"Even their spouse says they dread a police knock on the door...." so why is it that no-one can be bothered to stop it, before the inevitable happens; and (maybe) a totally innocent third-party is involved in the totally unnecessary conclusion.

Actually their spouse has tried to stop them but this person will listen to nobody. They do go down the middle of the road too and in the dark although with lights on coming home from the pub, unbelievable.
    The next time I see my friendly PCSO I shall ask for her opinion, she may well have a word with this person.

I remember a bloke who used to ride a bike down the middle of the road, as he thought it was safer; due to driver's judging their distance better as they passed him on the inside. (possibly logical?)

One day, he turned left.
    According to the driver who killed him - he didn't look.

(He wouldn't listen to people either.)

Quote Originally Posted by reddivine View Post
    .... when a person has a fit, they will lose consciousness and grip and the scooter STOPS. ....
    Not necessaily.

When I have an epileptic fit all my muscles spasm and my hands close into fists. (So I've been told, obviously I don't remember).

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    Actually their spouse has tried to stop them but this person will listen to nobody. They do go down the middle of the road too and in the dark although with lights on coming home from the pub, unbelievable.
    The next time I see my friendly PCSO I shall ask for her opinion, she may well have a word with this person.
    You can be prosecuted for being drunk in charge of a mobility scooter (or a bicycle, or a horse).
    Just how it would be enforced is problematical though.

About the only thing that might work would be a court order that the person was not to use a scooter.
    And if they still did then what? Imprison them?
    I can see lots of newspaper headlines about disability discrimination if that happened.
    Last edited by nukecad; 24-09-16 at 15:56.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.