Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Access to shops, etc

Access to shops, etc

I thought some of you may like to sign this petition. Everyone who uses a wheelchair is in this situation every single day.

https://www.change.org/p/cafe-nero-a...isabled-people

This is a top video - thanks for sharing

And looks like a handy wet room at the start ;-)

Great film. I'd start by boycotting every shop that doen't have disabled access. So Cafe Nero (your coffee is crap anyway) loses to COSTA, which usually does have a disabled loo and flat access. And better coffee IMO!!

Its very frustrating, out with @reddivine on Wed in an older part of town means most shops, including coffee shops are either small. And have steps, we had to lift the chair in (I was wondering why my back was aching!)

Some shops in my immediate area have promised ramps and 6 months to a year later, nothing.. Discrimination by lack of action maybe?

I'm very tempted to write a guide on the cafes and shops around here. There are plentiful cafes, hairdressers, opticians.. Many refit every few years which EASILY gives opportunity to adding good access.

Shared and tweeted the petition
    Last edited by TheFlyingKidney; 23-09-16 at 12:23.

Thanks you two. If anyone else is able to sign and/or share that would be great

In general I find coffee shops to be the most accessible venues with ramps, contactless payments, helpful staff and accessible toilets.

When shops/cafes have refits they shouldn't, by law, make them any LESS accessible.

It's a forward thinking retailer who actively makes their premises accessible. All retailers must make 'reasonable adjustments' to provide a service to disabled people. My local chiropodist's shop is inaccessible to me so they should offer a home visit otherwise they would be discriminating against me. I haven't asked yet!

TFK I agree, nothing much seems to be happening that I can see in terms of improving access. No one expects everywhere to be accessible over night, and some older smaller buildings are difficult to adapt. (Sadly, as usually more interesting than chains!) But for large chains to still not be accessible is just not on. I often find non disabled friends assume everywhere has to be accessible, I don't think people understand that this isn't enforced. It's just so embarrassing having to discuss toilet facilities etc when out for a meal!

I found this clip further down the page - sums everything up nicely.

If anyone wants to watch Will is on ITV breakfast Tv at 7.30 talking about aceess.