Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Designing showers for improved accessibility

What's next to the bathroom? If it happens to be a spare small bedroom/box room that you could live without, is it worth considering making a bigger bathroom. Obviously will be expensive, but would be future proof (and nicer to use now). As you say, just widening a door involves a lot of work. I reckon it makes a lot of sense for you to have a bathroom you could access in a wheelchair, think about really difficult days or if you were unwell/needed surgery, etc. Can happen to any of us. I know you've saved hard for your money, but you can't put a price on making life easier. Just a thought!

I would have thought it would be more cost effective to have it done while works in progress than to leave it and then have all the upset again. Plus it will cost more to have it done at a later date.

The bathroom door width was brought to my attention at the beginning before plans were drawn. It's probably taken 10 weeks to get to this design stage.

In the meantime I've revamped the hall and two bedrooms while there was a window of opportunity.

The trouble with wet rooms they devalue your house value. If I was to make the bathroom bigget I'd have to do radical work to the hall and 2nd bedroom.

You have made me think that I could add an en-suûte shower/ toilet as the toilet soil pipe is feet away then just install a standard new bathroom in original bathroom - it's wooden board flooring in the double bed room next door.

I need to have a ponder!

Fliss I have to go to Salford Hospital on Monday morning to discuss surgery options. They've suggestef that my curvature of the spine could be fixed with steel rods in my lumber region.

It would take months to heal and on the downside it could paralyse me from the waist down or worse!!!