Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Making do' with things

It must be just me then that likes a change of curtains and wall paint every couple of years. Housebound a lot of the time it cheers me up to choose a new colour and co ordinating curtains. I don't buy expensive and pass on my expired set of curtains to the charity shop. Voila!
    A new 'scene' for me look at.

I am having my lounge redecorated, long overdue, 2001 since it was last done. I am keeping my existing soft furnishings that are years old but still in good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by buble48 View Post
    It must be just me then that likes a change of curtains and wall paint every couple of years. Housebound a lot of the time it cheers me up to choose a new colour and co ordinating curtains. I don't buy expensive and pass on my expired set of curtains to the charity shop. Voila!
    A new 'scene' for me look at.
    Oh I'd LIKE em, just can't afford em! The walls at least were painted the colours I chose (its a rented property). Bought different bedroom curtains on Preloved. I am that person who buys your old curtains in the charity shop. These living curtains I'm hanging onto, they are thermal and very good insulation come winter!!
    I was quoted £400 for a new bedroom carpet. I bought a new rug for £80 instead.

One of the best pairs of curtains I have came from a charity shop, cost me £2. I shortened them and made tie backs with the piece I had cut off. That was 20 years ago and they are still going strong.

It's our 45th wedding anniversary tomorrow and yesterday I made a chocolate cake using our Kenwood Cheffette electric hand mixer which was a wedding gift. Still going strong after 45 years and it must have made 1000's of cakes and meringues. It was originally white but over the years has matured into what my granddaughter describes as 'hearing aid beige'.

I'm under pressure to upgrade it but I've become emotionally attached!
    Caring is an art not a science

I still own a cast iron frying pan that my mam bought before I was born. I had to stop using it last year when the arthritis in my hands got worse. I'm over 51 and I think the pan will still be around when my grandkids are 51.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Have you still got something that gives you a good service that's years old - and I don't mean your partner! lol
    My ex army underpants were made in 1983,still going strong!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PIC_0099a.jpg