Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to benefits, unsure if qualify for ESA & PIP

New to benefits, unsure if qualify for ESA & PIP / timeline of claims

Hi all,

I'm new to the world of benefits and to be honest, it's overwhelming.

Until recently I was employed full-time, for over 10 years, then I was made redundant. I'm now looking at claiming benefits, but I'm not sure if I'll qualify...

Does anyone have any advice or know where the best place would be for getting help completing the ESA and PIP forms for hearing and sight issues?

Just a bit lost and looking for advice...
    OrangeSkies
    Last edited by OrangeSkies; 07-09-18 at 20:21.

Citizens advice should be able to help, you can have face to face advice or even online chat in some areas as well as email advice. Only noticed your post on 2nd page so hopefully you will get further replies. Action on hearing loss can provide info on aids to help with work , can I ask what kind of work you did? I have severe hearing loss in both ears and use hearing aids (I lost my hearing when I was 21 and appreciate you may have speech difficulties as well. Hope you get some support.

Orangeskies,

Were you made redundant or was your contract terminated because of disability/ill health?
    It can make a diference.

The benefit system can be confusing for those new to it. (as well as those who have had to deal with it for a while).

If you can get to a local advice organisation (CAB, your council welfare office, Age UK, and so on - there are quite a few if you can find them locally) then they will help.

There are also online 'benefit calculators' that can help you to see what you may be able to claim.
    You can find the 2 main ones here- https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Either of those 2 should give you a good start and then come back to ask more about anything you need from there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Omnium,
    Only noticed your post on 2nd page...
    I've seen people say this before and can only assume that they/you are looking at the 'Activity Stream'.

There is a better way of reading the forum.

If you look at the top of the page when you log on there is a blue menu bar, the first item on this is 'New Posts'.
    Clicking on this will show you a list of all the threads that have been updated with new posts since you last logged on.
    Once you have viewed them they go from this list.
    It's the easy way to keep up with what has been posted since you last looked in.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thank you so much nukecad didnt realise

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSkies View Post
    My ex-company went through the redundancy process (consultation, appropriate statutory notice given, statutory redundancy pay given). I believe there was an element of them simply not wanting me there any more, which may be partly down to my ill health and disability, but it isn't anything I could prove. Just a gut feeling, and a couple of comments made in the past by ex-employees.

Thank you for the links, I'll check those out.
    They do tend to try that route if they can get away with it.

It is a lot easier for them to make you redundant than to terminate your contract due to ill health.
    As you say though it's hard to prove that they did anything wrong, unless they employ someone to directly replace your post in which case it wasn't 'redundant' at all.

It also makes it slightly harder for you to show that you can no longer work due to ill health.

Don't worry though, take a look at those links, and maybe make an appointment with a benefits advisor for a full benefits check.
    Your local council may have one, or there may be some other local organisation that the council will point you to.
    Age UK, or CAB are also popular choices, but funding for them has become limited and we have seen some conflicting reports about the quality of their advice recently.
    Last edited by nukecad; 28-08-16 at 14:14.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSkies View Post
    With the PIP form I've got as far as Q13, but the majority of issues I have with travelling I've actually already covered elsewhere in the form. Do you think I should repeat them all over again here? I'm up to 12 pages in Word already when using Helvetica at 16 points. I might be waffling on a bit too much, but I think the reason I probably failed on DLA some years ago was due to not giving enough detail, so I'm making sure I give enough detail now!
    Repeat all of it even though you have covered it earlier on the form. You will find that many of the answers will be a repeat of what you have put as answers to previous questions.

Orange skies Im only seeing your post now about your job, I actually work as a field interviewer for civil service, doing social research surveys, I manage as the interviews are always one 2 one andcare very repetitive, I do all the talking and the person basically answers yes or no or chooses options from a card . However I have had to cut my hours significantly to under 16 as wearing my hearing aids too long causes infections, I really enjoy my job and hate the thoughts of losing it as I know I wouldnt cope in many situations, I have no IT or admin training which limits my choices. Iused to be a lab technician but that was before my hearing loss got worse. My employer knew I used a hearing aid at my interview but they dont know just how bad my hearingvloss is. I work from home and only go to the office a couple of times a year so have managed to hide my increasing hearingvloss. Like you I oftenbwonder what other kind of work I could do.

Im at the appeal stage of my pip, orange skies, did you appeal? I was awarded 2 pts for hearing aids woopie! after MR I got 5pts (gained 3pts for being unable to get in,out bath.) My assessor and DM said I coped fine at assessment so dont have any severe functional difficulties. LIke you Im ok one to one in small quiet room, which is hardly an every day life experience!
    As for my job yes you do need to drive, however interviewers living in cities are encouraged to cycle . Answers are recorded on a tablet you can be IT iliterate they train you well on its use. KEep a look out for vacancies they usually advertise twice a year go to office of national statistics website to see if any vacancies.

Good luck with your MR , mine only took 2 weeks to get decision back, but was just the same other than DM admitting a wrong descriptor had been chosen for washing and bathing 'but this would not change the overall result' so it wasnt actually marked on the sheet! WIth that attitude why bother giving me 2pts for hearing aids!

Have you got someone, who knows you well, who can fill in the form for you? With you dictating the answers? And could same person go with you to ant meetings? To avoid the confusion and show interviewer how you struggle?