Thread: No Hip

No Hip

It seems increasingly likely that a full metal to metal hip I have on the right-side is going to have to be removed.
    When it was done 5 years ago I suffered a MRSA infection & had upwards of 6 op's & it was only on the last try that it settled down otherwise the prognosis was simply to remove the hip altogether hence the title of this thread.
    I have severe necrotised? bones so no other options.
    Question is, Is anyone else in this position ?.
    I already have a wheelchair & was trapped in it for ages prior to the original replacement. Then independent movement was impossible mainly due to pain but now, when the pain is bearable I'm sort of independently mobile.
    Would I be able to use my crutches to move around indoors ?. I have similar probs in shoulders & back but thats another matter.

Can they replace this metal one with a plastic one? I am not sure how it would affect you, each case is different. You need to discuss it with your doctor.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Hi Steve, unfortunately once it's out that's it, there's too much damage to enable another repair. I already have an exterior brace which holds everything in order I was just wondering if anyone is in the same sort of fix & how they get on.

I was afraid you would say that. That is bad news. I have heard of others in your situation, some cope better actually when it is removed, some not so well. Again, speak to your doctor. I think all you can do is wait & hope. There could be other options. You can have some reconstructive surgery, if possible in your situation. This is rare though, but can happen.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by tinker View Post
    It seems increasingly likely that a full metal to metal hip I have on the right-side is going to have to be removed.
    When it was done 5 years ago I suffered a MRSA infection & had upwards of 6 op's & it was only on the last try that it settled down otherwise the prognosis was simply to remove the hip altogether hence the title of this thread.
    I have severe necrotised? bones so no other options.
    Question is, Is anyone else in this position ?.
    I already have a wheelchair & was trapped in it for ages prior to the original replacement. Then independent movement was impossible mainly due to pain but now, when the pain is bearable I'm sort of independently mobile.
    Would I be able to use my crutches to move around indoors ?. I have similar probs in shoulders & back but thats another matter.
    In years to come this sort of problem ie repair the bone so a new joint can be fitted will be easy with stem cells treatment but due to tree huggers slowing down research things are taking longer than they should till then you and many others suffer

In years to come this sort of problem ie repair the bone so a new joint can be fitted will be easy with stem cells treatment but due to tree huggers slowing down research things are taking longer than they should till then you and many others suffer
    maybe, but I've also heard recently that due to Antibiotics rapidly becoming ineffective lots of major surgery will not be possible.
    When I had the MRSA infection there was only 1 antibiotic that would work & that involved it being administered intravenously. When that ceases to work unless something else is discovered we'll all be in a pickle.