Thread: ESA help needed as DWP have scrambled my brain.

Question ESA help needed as DWP have scrambled my brain.

Hi everyone, i am new here so please bear with me.Any help you can give me would be fantastic.

I was on incapacity benefit afew years ago and then it changed to work related ESA. In july 2013 i was told that i could no longer get it because i had had 365 days worth. Then in march this year i got a form to fill out for ESA through my door, filled it in and sent it off. Had a medical essessment booked in for 19th May. they cancelled and then they cancelled my second one. i finally got to have my appointment on 19th July. I have been awarded support group ESA. I phoned them and asked if i was able to get the benefit back dated as they had kept me waiting for a few months, they said yes and i would get it on my next payment date. I phoned again this week just to double check. and they said no i would not be getting it. after many phone calls they have said that even though my ESA work related benefit ended on July 2013, they were paying some national insurance for me and therefore the ESA support group benefit i am getting is not a NEW claim and therefore i could not get back pay. I really do not understand this as why where they paying insurance for me but i was not getting any benefit. So confused and any thoughts or answers that you can help me with would be fantastic. thank you

When you first changed to ESA you were getting Contribution Based ESA.
    In WRAG this only lasts for 365 days at which time you change to Income Related ESA.

With IR ESA ig your or your partners earnings or capital exceeds certain limits then you don't get any money, but you do get NI credits towards your pension.

This is the situation you were in.

The form to you got was for a reassessment not a new claim.

Because you were awarded Support Group at this reassessment you went back onto Contribution Based ESA and your payments started again from that date.
    (There is no 365 day limit in Support Group).

So you have been on ESA all the time, you just weren't getting paid anything because of your earnings/capital.

This is why there is nothing to be backpaid.

Hope that explains it better than the DWP did.
    Last edited by nukecad; 11-08-16 at 17:05.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

thank you so much for making sense of it for me