Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contribution-Based ESA Vs Income-Related ESA

Contribution-Based ESA Vs Income-Related ESA

I have been on Contribution-Based ESA since 2011. I was moved over to this directly from Incapacity Benefit nearly 5 years ago and placed on Contribution-Based ESA, Support Group.

I find it a bit strange as to why this happened as most of my working life I have been sick through acute mental health problems and not been able to hold a job. When I have worked it's only been for short periods of time.

My question is wouldn't of my National Insurance contributions of been used up by now which make up my entitlement to this benefit? I have applied for Income-Based ESA and sent off the ESA3 form for this. The DWP have never sent me any form like the ESA3 previously through the whole time I moved over to ESA back in 2011. Does anyone know what is going on here?

Your Nat Ins contributions are probably up to date, stamp paid when signing on etc............ and cont based support group has no time limit.............You do NOT want income based unless you are in need of income related support which can have drawbacks. Sounds like you are on the best version already, if it was me I would certainly be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by stree View Post
    Your Nat Ins contributions are probably up to date, stamp paid when signing on etc............ and cont based support group has no time limit.............You do NOT want income based unless you are in need of income related support which can have drawbacks. Sounds like you are on the best version already, if it was me I would certainly be happy.
    When you say CB ESA has no time limit what do you exactly mean by that? Also the bit about the stamps paid I don't follow..?

I am not entitled to free prescriptions, eye care etc... I get £60 less a month through being on CB ESA and also I cannot apply for Disability Premiums if I stay on CB ESA. Thanks for your reply Stree.

A lot of the information on the internet regarding IB ESA and CB ESA is contradictory.

Some places same Contribution-Based ESA has no time limit other places say Income-Based has no time limit which has left me more confused. The only thing I can say is that when enquirying about Disability Premiums over the phone the lady at DWP advised me I would be better off receiving Income-Based ESA. She adivised that by not being on Income-Based ESA I wouldn't be entitled to Disability Premium?

You can have both contribution and income related you do not get to choose between them but your contribution can be topped up with income based esa especially if you have housing costs or extra premiums. Everyone should apply for esa income related at the same time as contributory unfortunately dwp dont do it automatically. With income based they will take into account savings and a partners income so a lot of couples wont get IR if partner working, but always best to apply anyway. I cannot see any reason why contributory is better than IR. Apply for IR you have nothing to loose and could be better of.
    The government are planning to make contributory ESA time limited to a year.

You were put on CB ESA as part of the transfer from Incapacity Benefit, I believe that everyone who transfered into Support Group was.

As long as you stay in Support Group then your ESA will remain Contribution Based.
    (Contribution Based ESA by means of NI contributions only runs out if you are in the Work Related Activities Group).

You can also get an Income Related 'top-up' to your Contribution Based ESA - if you also meet the criteria for Income Related benefit.
    The information you give in the ESA3 is what will decide this.
    This is not instead of Contribution Based, it is a an IR entitlement as well as the Contribution Based.
    If you get the IR top-up then you become elligible for free healthcare, disability premiums, etc.

What is going on-

They should have checked IR entitlement for everybody who moved from IB to SG ESA at the time, but it seems that a lot of people were missed.

Others have had this corrected now, and have successfuly claimed back the extra money that they should have had all along.

If you have already sent in an ESA3 then you have taken the first step towards getting this corrected, if you are elligible for the IR top-up then it should be sorted out within a month or two. (and you may be due some backpay for any premiums).
    Last edited by nukecad; 09-08-16 at 21:44.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks for the reply oimum

You said people can claim bother IR and CR ESA? Should that be the case what do they pay every fortnight with that? As I said in my previous post the women on the phone when I rang the DWP seemed sincere in that I should be on that benefit and to apply for it. I hope their not trying to me up my claim now.

Thanks very much for that information nukecad.

Sorry im in n.ireland the time limit is probably already in force in england are you in support group or work related?

Quote Originally Posted by D3ViANCE View Post
    Thanks very much for that information nukecad.
    You may want to read it again, I edited it to clarify a few things.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.