Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A question for wheeled mobility aid users

Quote Originally Posted by stree View Post
    Catlover, what scooter do you have?
    I have a pride go go elite traveller plus. Pretty basic boot scooter. It's a bit higher than the normal elite traveller so has slightly more clearance but it's probably about the same as yours. Kerbs need to be low and it doesn't like grass, especially long grass, but it will go on grass. I am rough with but so far it's not let me down. Solid tyres so can be a bit bumpy but plus side is no punctures. I do really like it. One day I'm going around Tatton, the next I'm in a small coffee shop and it copes with both situations well.

I'm afraid Lighttouch is a light weight!! Ha-ha! Having both got a Lightdrive, I know what it can and cannot deal with. Mine has to contend with urban pavements and they are nothing like "normal". Basically i stay away from grass, loose gravel and dirt.
    Paving, tarmac, compressed gravel, block paving it will all cope with. Slopes it will manage. Speedy it is. Doesn't like the rain - but then neither do i!!
    i shall have to take you around Manchester, my boy for some driving lessons!! ; )

It's like you wouldn't go off road in a Ferrari! The Lightdrive attached to a manual wheelchair works best on flat even terrain. It's not good on uneven surfaces.

The driving mechanism is similar to a tank. When turning left the left wheel is stationary and the right wheel spins and rotates the wheelchair in its own shadow. It's very manoeuvrable and responsive.

Tomorrow, as the weather is so good, I'll go to Southport. I've just put the Lithium battery on charge - it's half the size of a standard battery but the charge lasts a long time. Southport is perfect for the Lightdrive as it's on the coast. Has long promenades, a long pier, big shopping front on Lord Street and many coffee shops.

I've had workmen at home creating lots of dust and chaos so it'll be nice to hear seagulls, have the sun in my face and smell the sea air while wheelin' along - heaven!
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 15-08-16 at 17:15.

Hee-hee. I see you need driving lessons. The battery only takes a long time if you let it go completely flat. (What happened to me in Lancaster - thru no fault of mine) I tend to charge after every use.
    Lead batteries as in mob scooter ones take an overnight charge so not so bad compared eh?
    Don't forget now - 8 miles,...thats 4 miles there and 4 miles back. We don't want to call out the RNLI to you.
    I hope to be doing some of the same - but down South.

I have found a LOT of dis-information is given regarding battery care, charging and maintenance, sadly mostly by Dealers who have a vested interest in selling you replacements.
    Both Gel and AGM type should never be discharged below half way, doing so gives rise to sulphating of the plates which mean they are less abe to accept and hold a charge....Run them down this way and you will be lucky to get a year out of a pair.
    I put mine on charge every night, no matter how little it has been used, this ensures maximum efficiency. Practically all battery chargers now are smart or semi smart, meaning they will cut out automatically as full charge is reached, some also give a trickle charge to ensure it remains topped up. A full overnight charge is preferable but occasional charges of less will be fine.
    When I bought my scooter second hand it was from a lady that had had it from new.I asked her if the batteries were OK. No trouble with them it seems, her husband put the scooter on charge all the time it was not in use..........
    I subsequently found these batteries took and held a full charge and gave a very good range...........I used them for about 15 months and they began to drop off in holding charge, so I bought a pair of MK AGM type, I removed the old ones and found the first charge date on them, Feb 2007............These original batteries had lasted almost 8 years!.....not expensive ones, cheap Chinese brand, so obviously I stick to this method of charging my batteries.............
    PS GEL are often touted as better, but UK temperatures mean AGM are more suitable, performing better in colder weather...

I have found a LOT of dis-information is given regarding battery care, charging and maintenance, sadly mostly by Dealers who have a vested interest in selling you replacements.
    Both Gel and AGM type should never be discharged below half way, doing so gives rise to sulphating of the plates which mean they are less abe to accept and hold a charge....Run them down this way and you will be lucky to get a year out of a pair.
    I put mine on charge every night, no matter how little it has been used, this ensures maximum efficiency. Practically all battery chargers now are smart or semi smart, meaning they will cut out automatically as full charge is reached, some also give a trickle charge to ensure it remains topped up. A full overnight charge is preferable but occasional charges of less will be fine.
    When I bought my scooter second hand it was from a lady that had had it from new.I asked her if the batteries were OK. No trouble with them it seems, her husband put the scooter on charge all the time it was not in use..........
    I subsequently found these batteries took and held a full charge and gave a very good range...........I used them for about 15 months and they began to drop off in holding charge, so I bought a pair of MK AGM type, I removed the old ones and found the first charge date on them, Feb 2007............These original batteries had lasted almost 8 years!.....not expensive ones, cheap Chinese brand, so obviously I stick to this method of charging my batteries.............
    PS GEL are often touted as better, but UK temperatures mean AGM are more suitable, performing better in colder weather...

I think stree, you must be talking about mob scooter batteries? They DO need an overnight charge and if i use my "back up" scooter, I do charge overnight.
    The Lightdrive use a lithium ion one. which i tend to charge after every use, being a bit paranoid with the idea of suddenly conking out!
    It has just done sterling work in Bournemouth for 10 days. Lot of hills, beach promenades, poor b/friend walked his feet off!
    Plus the heat! Came back and had the tyres checked. The recommended psi for the Lightdrive is between 80-120 and they were down to 40 on one side and 20 on the other!! Oo-err! No wonder it had been struggling on them hills!

reddvine,
    yes, I refer to AGM and GEL cyclic batteries, mobility scooters, golf carts, back up systems etc.
    I wish I could afford Lithium Ion batteries for mine, but a pair of 50 Amp along with a charger would be very expensive.
    Way to go though...

Quote Originally Posted by reddivine View Post
    I think stree, you must be talking about mob scooter batteries? They DO need an overnight charge and if i use my "back up" scooter, I do charge overnight.
    The Lightdrive use a lithium ion one. which i tend to charge after every use, being a bit paranoid with the idea of suddenly conking out!
    It has just done sterling work in Bournemouth for 10 days. Lot of hills, beach promenades, poor b/friend walked his feet off!
    Plus the heat! Came back and had the tyres checked. The recommended psi for the Lightdrive is between 80-120 and they were down to 40 on one side and 20 on the other!! Oo-err! No wonder it had been struggling on them hills!
    BETWEEN 80-120 PSI!! DON'T!! usually 30-35 psi is what's "recommended " you can let them down a bit for more grip in the snow or whatever or to make it a more comfy ride. You try and put 80 or 120 psi in and you'll get a loud bang and a bill for a new tyre...and maybe a shart attack too....oh and new keks! If they're a wee bit soft it'll cost you a bit of range and they'll wear out a wee bit quicker too. As for the battery charge after every time you use and once a week if you don't use. Most chargers are just a wee bit too high on the main charge and same with the float charge so cost you in the life of the battery. We could go into the best volts for chargers to charge at but that's picking the bones out of it. If you've had a good day out and used it plenty try and give it around 16 hrs if you've just been to the shops 8 or so. Charge every time for sure though.

Regarding chargers and charging routines..............When I got the scooter I have just sold it had the original batteries............That made them 7 years old,,,,,,Fuli batteries, 2 x 12 volt 30 AH on a Shoprider Sovereign 4..I ran it with them for another 10 months but the range was getting less so Bought some MK batteries. The original owner put it on charge every night whatever the use, as I do now.Whereas the scooter I bought yesterday which has hardly done 2 miles in all, in three years, has been chrged utterly wrongly, full discharge every month or so by leaving lights on until drained the recharged...............Of course as soon as I got it home I found one not taking a charge at all, and I know it took a full charge last week...Sod`s law. So have had to buy a pair of MK 45 AH, due Friday.
    Goes to show............
    Plus both parties were absolutely convinced that their method of charging was the best............