Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A question for wheeled mobility aid users

Looking back at the first post, i do hates slopes that are also at a camber. A scooter may manage it (its heavier). But with my wheelchair i feel i have to steer left to go straight!
    This is where I look for alternative routes. Again i say use streetview and see if alternative route has better crossing.

reddvine, I can sympathise with that, you are higher up in a chair centre of gravity wise and I imagine it would be very daunting attempting anything other than dead flat, or at least any incline dead on and not at any angle.

I've come to the realisation that in a nice flat shopping centre anything is possible, everywhere else is trial and error!

As I'm about to lose my internet access for a bit I'm not gonna be able to say anything else on the subject and I'll just have to keep my opinions to myself. (Boohoo)

TTFN

I don't know about the legalities but dropped kerbs also need to be put where they are needed. If you live somewhere or need to be somewhere but can't cross the road due to no dropped kerb you'd be annoyed if it was because someone else had decided you shouldn't cross the road there. I can understand the annoyance but we have to make our own judgement call as to whether we can go somewhere with our wheels.

I have a basic boot scooter but go all over the place with it, including off road. I see signs saying not suitable for wheelchairs or pushchairs as a invitation to have some fun! I don't take much notice of what the user manual says.
    Last edited by catlover; 13-08-16 at 07:57.

Catlover, you will have to come with me round the nature reserves! Surprising how capable these scooters can be........

They are aren't they? Last weekend I was at Tatton Park. Not the gardens (nice but far too tame - they have paths ) but the parkland. No proper paths, long grass, steep inclines, tree roots, stones... no problem! Ok, I did get stuck once and had to get out, turn brake off and give it a shove which fortunately I'm able to just about manage. Overall it copes wonderfully with that sort of terrain.

Anywhere that a dropped kerb has been installed should be OK to use but be sensible. If using a three wheeled scooter don't attempt to oust the dropped kerb at 45 degrees or you'll be unceremoniously tipped out!

As has been said the tactile paving associated with dropped kerbs is usually made in a contrasting colour to the surrounding paving. Visually impaired or blind people can feel the tactile paving under foot or feel it with their cane.

The half inch rise at the pavement edge is to help the guide dog realise that it must stop there and wait for a further instruction to cross the road.

The side roads local to me are terrible. I wheeled a few hundred yards from home and gave up as the state of the pavement was unforgiving.

If you want a route from your home to the local shops making accessible to a wheelchair user phone your local authority's 'Highways department' and demand that they put in more dropped kerbs - they are duty bound to give you an easy accessible route there.

stree - no you're higher up, just slightly in a scooter, cuz they are built that way. catlover, I don't know what sort of scooter you have but ones i'm looking - if they are boot scooters they have a lower clearance and thus don't clear kerbs - not well. So how you manage rough terrain, i don't know.
    I would LIKE an off roader but cannot justify the HUGE expense

Reddvine, fair point, perhaps seated higher but I think the weight offset would keep a scooter more firmly anchored.
    F.Y.I. my scooter is a £200 Shoprider Sovereign4, 10" wheels with about 2.5" clearance. These are very common, so can be had cheap and spares are easy....and not too hard to do any work on. At my own pace ( slow!) I have uprated it slightly and with a minimal budget:
    The tyres are pneumatic so have treated them with "Gloop" so now any punctures automatically self seal. The original bulbs are all old filament type, now replaced with 24Volt LED.The front lamp I swapped for a 24 volt truck spotlight with 12LEDS in....
    I used a bicycle handlebar mount for a torch/camera etc and fixed a tablet holder to it, so now my phone sits there, with an app "Triplog" to give me routes, map, mileage and speed, all uploaded to online database.all free..
    In the middle of fitting a twin USB port powered from the pos and neg in the headset, this can charge the phone etc........
    On the Sovereign 4 there is a second hidden speed control in the headset, simple twist and Voila! a 4MPH scooter is now an *mph scooter, but more important than the speed is the added torque for hill climbs etc..
    There are a few other tweaks too, but enough for now...........and no need to spend a fortune on an off roader.

Catlover, what scooter do you have?