Thread: Non direct flights with a mobility scooter

Non direct flights with a mobility scooter

What happens if your flight is not direct do you pick up the scooter in transit

I am buying a mobility scooter in the UK and bringing it back to Egypt where I live. I have never travelled with a scooter so do not know what the procedure is.

My flight is EgyptAir London-Cairo-Luxor and my baggage will be checked through

Is it normal for the scooter to be checked through too?
    Or do I pick it up in Cairo and take it to the departure gate?
    I could travel without using it and pack it in a suitcase, is this advisable?

i would check with your air line. There may be issue with the lead batteries. They will deffo need disconnecting and MAY not be able to go in hold. So check the regulations.

As far as Batteries are concerned try to fit Lithium battery's they keep their charge much better, they drain further and are lighter than an equivalent (Ah) size Lead Acid battery.
    Recharge frequently.
    Get out and about. Keep pedalling and use the lower gears to help the motor when going uphill.
    Imitate dog mess (get all over the place).
    Enjoy yourself and don't fall off.
    Good luck and have loads of fun.

nod1e.....most mobility scooters sold in the UK have lead batteries. No option, they just do.
    As far as lithium batteries: this is what i have for my wheelie and I was told it can go in the hold of a plane, but must be wrapped and it is a Class 9 risk (I'm quoting the dealer here).
    Mobility scooters don't have pedals. At least none I've seen, and lower gears? uphill? it would grind to a halt. You need MORE power then.

Bigger issue is: where are you gonna go when it needs servicing or repairs?

nod1e.....most mobility scooters sold in the UK have lead batteries. No option, they just do.
    As far as lithium batteries: this is what i have for my wheelie and I was told it can go in the hold of a plane, but must be wrapped and it is a Class 9 risk (I'm quoting the dealer here).
    Mobility scooters don't have pedals. At least none I've seen, and lower gears? uphill? it would grind to a halt. You need MORE power then.

Quote Originally Posted by reddivine View Post
    Egyptians are magic at repairing and servicing things and you can actually buy these in Egypt but they are three times the price

Anyone got any experience of travelling on a non direct flight

Just to let you know the scooter was taken in 4 pieces at check in.

I didnt see it again until Luxor, all 4 pieces arrived and it is working.