Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: "Self employed" and PIP

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Question "Self employed" and PIP


    I'm looking for a bit of advice as I'm not really sure where to look regarding this, other than talking to the benefits line directly and I'd rather, if possible, get a bit 'ahead' of the game and figure out as much as I can regarding this particular issue so I'm not stumped when it comes to applying for PIP.

    I own my own business and have been self employed for coming on 7 years now, during this time I have never made more than £3000 a year and my health has been somewhat of a rollercoaster during that time, with me having to take many frequent breaks from my business. Currently my health is at an all time low. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, asthma, chronic allergic rhinitis and food, pet, dust, mould etc allergies (which have been getting more and more extreme as I'm barely able to eat, was in hospital over the weekend for anaphylaxis and cannot be around any chemicals or strong smells, animals etc), IBS and there are many other issues I am currently waiting to see an allergy specialist, rheumatologist (stiff painful joints in my hands and feet, raised level in blood) and gastroenterologist (bile reflux, unexplained abdominal pain, hiatus hernia etc) for.
    I am in bed all of the time, I am currently unable to care for myself the majority of the time and am certainly unable to do my work for about 80% of the time.

    I have been looking into PIP payment and have tried the self-tests available on benefitsandwork and would apparently be entitled to the higher rate of payment for both the daily living and mobility rates. However, I am unsure of how this will be viewed when I am registered as self-employed and am still able to work (very, very slowly and unreliably) at some points. Does it make no difference? Am I being paranoid and does anyone have any experience with this?

    Any information (personal experience, places where I can find experiences or professionals I could talk to etc) would be hugely appreciated

  2. #2
    Senior Member Lighttouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Good for you. PIP is none-means tested so you can still get it if you work and it's tax free.

    Something you should look into is the Government's best kept secret - 'Access to Work' - the number one support for disabled people who work. Check out the benefits and self-refer to Accesss to Work.

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Thank you Lighttouch!

Similar Threads

  1. Interpretation of "regular" as in "bedroom allowance due to regular overnight care"?
    By AMac in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 13-10-13, 19:27
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-10-13, 20:52
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-10-13, 20:49
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 15-04-13, 11:02

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts