Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you entitled to free prescriptions and dental care whilst on ESA assessment rate?

Are you entitled to free prescriptions and dental care whilst on ESA assessment rate?

Hi, Im currently on the assessment rate for Income Based ESA but still paying for prescriptions and dental care.
    I understand that contribution based is out of the question but what about income based assessment rate?

I couldn't find much on this anywhere.

Thanks!

Yes Automatically as long as it's income related if on the contribution related version the rules are different depending on what your total household income is or what conditions you need medication for.
    Last edited by tom34; 18-07-16 at 16:41.

My dentist made me pay saying id get a 500 pound fine if i tick the esa box

If you are in receipt of income ESA/JSA related benefit you are entitled to free prescriptions and teeth and glasses, Some dentists will try it on I went to one had a routine check and they scraped only the front teeth, and said that they would do the rest for a fee, which was more than the normal nhs fee , i made a complaint , and changed dentist, and haven't had issues of that kind since

What about if your on the assessment rate

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    What about if your on the assessment rate
    ESA is ESA regardless of assessment rate wrag,or SG

Quote Originally Posted by tom34 View Post
    ESA is ESA regardless of assessment rate wrag,or SG
    Not quite true.

when you apply for ESA the DWP WILL check if you qualify for CB or IR due to your national insurance contributions, and if so will always pay CB before IR.

this is done before they tell you you are eligible for ESA and placed on assessment rate, your letter giving you assessment rate will tell you if its CB or IR.

To clarify it does not matter if it's Assessment rate, WRAG, or SG.

The only thing that matters is if your benefit is Income Related.

Any and all Income Related benefits Automatically entitle you to free healthcare.

Contribution Based benefits do not entitle you to free healthcare.
    But you may qualify by means of low income.
    If you believe you may qualify on low income grounds then get a form HC1 from your doctors surgery to apply.
    Some chemists and dentists will also have them or you can download one from here:
    http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/HealthCosts/1128.aspx
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by slipmaster View Post
    Not quite true.

when you apply for ESA the DWP WILL check if you qualify for CB or IR due to your national insurance contributions, and if so will always pay CB before IR.

this is done before they tell you you are eligible for ESA and placed on assessment rate, your letter giving you assessment rate will tell you if its CB or IR.
    Err
    Quote Originally Posted by tom34 View Post
    Yes Automatically as long as it's income related if on the contribution related version the rules are different depending on what your total household income is or what conditions you need medication for.
    already said that

you do have to show the DWP letter to prove that you are on ESA however. You can't just tick the box w.o. proof. If they are an NHS dentist they will accept that.