Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Could tablet computers replace PCs?

People go mad when something new comes out. They have to get the latest mobile, iphone, ipad, thingy, wotsit, even though they got a new one the year before, or later. It is insanity.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

renewing stuff

Well I know what you mean. They say as soon as you buy a new TV or computer it's already out of date!

From a marketing point of view 'early adopters' will always pay a premium for the latest gadget - it's all about consumerism. Then there will be late adopters who will buy te newish technology at a knock down price.

I prefer to buy quality as it lasts longer and can work out cheaper in the long run. I've still got an Apple ipod that's perfect for me and it's 10 years old - perfect!

They say that the lifespan of a computer is about 4 years. Well my imac is about that old but I'm about to load Snow Leopard system software on it which basically brings it right up to date. I've never needed technical support for a mac and it's easy to ad extra memory yourself so no need to replace just upgrade!

When I got a laptop a few years ago, I got home. I went online to find out about it as I was curious. I found out that not only had be been newly released that week, but it was already obsolete.

You noticed that there are always things you cannot update, you have to get a new version for the new features?

I buy late, very late. I do not have a Smartphone, or an iPhone (Are they the same or what?), I do not have an iPod (What is that), I do not have an iPad, or tablet, or Kindling. I do not have HD TV, or LCD or plasma. I have only had Cable 10 years. I start getting DVDs & a DVDR with HDD, just as that Blu-Ray starts to takeover, lol.

I am on Gatey's thingy. I never liked the Apple store as it took over from my favourite kitchen shop. Was able to get great utensils & the such from there. Was the beginning of the end of buying quality kitchen stuff & a reasonable price in person. Plus, the other Apple place was not disabled-friendly & the staff treated me badly when I went in to ask about things, so I told them I was going to buy Windows as the place I was going to did not look down their noses at me because I did not understand computers, & they would sell me something I wanted & not what they were pushing like there. I said it very loud too.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Potentially ipad imitations are going to clean up. Apple already trying to stop Samsung selling lookalikes etc. Cheapest ones are about £60.

It remains to be seen if Microsoft will catch up on Android as the latter has a head start being the most popular OS on mobile devices already.

Its notable MS are already porting versions of Windows to run on ARM processors, the most popular CPUs in mobile devices.

I do not understand most of that Ians, lol.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by ians13770 View Post
    Potentially ipad imitations are going to clean up. Apple already trying to stop Samsung selling lookalikes etc. Cheapest ones are about £60.

It remains to be seen if Microsoft will catch up on Android as the latter has a head start being the most popular OS on mobile devices already.

Its notable MS are already porting versions of Windows to run on ARM processors, the most popular CPUs in mobile devices.
    Hi Ians, There will always be imitators and China is the biggest copycat going - they don't believe in copyright. China already had opened Apple look alike stores in major cities before Apple arrived!

The Kindle is a good cheap product as it's part of Amazon who sell digital books for the 'Kindle' but it only does that I believe.

Remember Apple are both hardware and software designers who revolutionized the music industry and created a hub where all your electronic gadgets can talk to each other on one platform. It's a simple solution that just works.

When Apple changed chips from the likes of G3, G4s they changed to the Intel processor because it was faster. This allowed them to also add Windows to a Mac to make it easier for PC users to migrate to a Mac platform eg OSX system software.

Apple software and hardware is really designed to be used 'intuitively' in other words you don't need a handbook or a degree in computing to use it.
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 11-03-12 at 00:26.

The point is, unless Apple reduce the price of the ipad the base of Android based tablets will mushroom in the next few years. I don't think desktops will die out though. The one thing that differentiates a desktop is it can always be on, no battery to run down and no irritating "power save mode" keep locking the keyboard and screen. ipads still don't run any version of Windows, that's only the notebooks like Macbook that can do that, but only if you buy a copy of Windows to put on it! They give you a copy with it. The desktops still tend to have more processing power available and greater graphics capabilities which is not at the expense of battery life like it is in notebooks etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ians13770 View Post
    The point is, unless Apple reduce the price of the ipad the base of Android based tablets will mushroom in the next few years. I don't think desktops will die out though. The one thing that differentiates a desktop is it can always be on, no battery to run down and no irritating "power save mode" keep locking the keyboard and screen. ipads still don't run any version of Windows, that's only the notebooks like Macbook that can do that, but only if you buy a copy of Windows to put on it! They give you a copy with it. The desktops still tend to have more processing power available and greater graphics capabilities which is not at the expense of battery life like it is in notebooks etc.
    First Apple have reduced theprice of the former Ipad2 just to off load old technology. Apple new products will always command a premium price because they have had to invest in research and development and need to recoup their investment.

People are prepared to pay more for something that is functional but also aesthetically pleasing. Did you know that even the inner workings of an Apple have been put together so they are pleasing to the eye even though you'll never see them.

Apple staff are passionate about there products. The Macs are really designed for a 'niche market' the designers, film makers, music producers etc. The towers are big number crunchers - they need to be to handle the data.

I've known IT people who trouble shoot PCs all day - they know a lot about computers. But what do they own at home - an Applemac and an iphone - speaks for itself really.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    First Apple have reduced theprice of the former Ipad2 just to off load old technology. Apple new products will always command a premium price because they have had to invest in research and development and need to recoup their investment.

People are prepared to pay more for something that is functional but also aesthetically pleasing. Did you know that even the inner workings of an Apple have been put together so they are pleasing to the eye even though you'll never see them.

Apple staff are passionate about there products. The Macs are really designed for a 'niche market' the designers, film makers, music producers etc. The towers are big number crunchers - they need to be to handle the data.

I've known IT people who trouble shoot PCs all day - they know a lot about computers. But what do they own at home - an Applemac and an iphone - speaks for itself really.

Yes, Apple people are so passionate about the products they build in their Chinese sweatshops that they have to have anti sucide bars on all the windows in tehse fac6tories, places with the highest suicide rate of any Chinese factory.
    Apple make these products cheaply and then sell then to deluded "must have" people at a massive profit.
    What fdo they get compared to say, Android tablets?
    Connectibvity of USB, SD, MicroSD cards? No, your way of connection is only by slow bluetooth
    a standard Gorrila glass screen as used by Asus, Motorolla and many others but in useless square, not widescreen so its useful for all uses.
    A faster processor? no, the quad cores now being used are faster
    Flash use on websites? nope
    A removable battery so you can replace it when the time comes? nope, have to buy another shiny apple at high cost.
    A marketplace of useless apps, yep, thats true.
    Whilst Android may not have as many useless apps, the apps they do have are useful and cheaper.
    The technology used in apple products is no better thajn any non apple products and certainly not worth the premium.
    You get an Apple badge to pose with your BMW thats about it.
    Apple are the biggest "emprorers new cloths" company around. They hae=-ve cashed in on peoples stupidity to buy a badge not a good product

Yes, Apple people are so passionate about the products they build in their Chinese sweatshops that they have to have anti sucide bars on all the windows in tehse fac6tories, places with the highest suicide rate of any Chinese factory.

It's a sad fact that the Western World uses cheaper labour in other parts of the world. The Chinese company you refer to isn't owned by Apple but many technical companies use the orgaisation's 'assembly plants'. The 'factory' employs a million workers - 17 did commit suicide. In context American college students kill themselves at four times this rate. It's society's problem. Check this out.
    http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/0...linchina/all/1

Apple make these products cheaply and then sell then to deluded "must have" people at a massive profit.
    People do have a choice. If you buy a product that lives up to its reputation you will trust that brand and use them again.

What fdo they get compared to say, Android tablets?
    Connectibvity of USB, SD, MicroSD cards? No, your way of connection is only by slow bluetooth.
    You don't need to save your work or transfer files using iCloud and you can access the same edited document on any IOS device.

a standard Gorrila glass screen as used by Asus, Motorolla and many others but in useless square, not widescreen so its useful for all uses. A faster processor? no, the quad cores now being used are faster
    Innovation is the mother of good design - technology is forever moving forward and the latest ipad covers most of your concerns
    http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/

Flash use on websites? nope.
    That's because there's a more modern format called H.264 and viewable on all iphones, ipads etc

A removable battery so you can replace it when the time comes? nope, have to buy another shiny apple at high cost.
    I've still got a working ipod that's 10 years old. The new Ipad battery can be replaced.

A marketplace of useless apps, yep, thats true.
    There's over 200,000 apps for the Ipad so someone must think they are useful.
    http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/sente...431076880?mt=8

Whilst Android may not have as many useless apps, the apps they do have are useful and cheaper.

The technology used in apple products is no better than any non apple products and certainly not worth the premium.
    You get an Apple badge to pose with your BMW thats about it.
    If it wasn't for Apple's Ipad there wouldn't be any other tablets! Don't take my word for it . . .
    http://www.rediff.com/business/slide...e/20120312.htm

Apple are the biggest "emprorers new cloths" company around. They have cashed in on peoples stupidity to buy a badge not a good product.
    See above link.
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 12-03-12 at 19:34.