Thread: DWP did something quickly for a c hange!

DWP did something quickly for a c hange!

Just thought I'd share a story about the DWP getting something right for a change. I'm a student on my summer break and as hubby and I both get PIP and he gets Carers Allowance for looking after me, we were advised that we would qualify for Income Support till I go back to university in September. Applied by phone a couple of weeks ago and went to the local Jobcentre to sign the forms and show evidence of my student finance, then had a text saying it would be processed in 10 working days. The 10 days were up today, no letter or payment arrived so I rang them to chase it up. I was told that it hadn't been processed yet and someone would phone us back within 3 hours. From previous experience, I wasn't holding my breath as I know they rarely call back when they say they will so I was amazed to get a call back within the hour, a very pleasant lady saying it appeared we qualified and should get some back pay and that she would look at the claim straight away. She said I would get a text later today to say when our payments would start. I couldn't believe it when about an hour later I had a text to say we were entitled to IS and would get a letter explaining our award but in the meantime would receive a back dated payment of nearly £450 into my account this afternoon, and sure enough it was in by 5pm.

I'm absolutely amazed! Speed and efficiency are not words normally associated with the DWP but they did a good job for us today - just goes to show they can get their finger out when they want to, would be so nice if they managed to do that for everyone!

I'm not sure what to make of this topic, not many students choose to try and get benefits whilst they are on a break.

Also, how on earth is it possible for you to get carers allowance for one another, when you are both disabled?!

Student loans and grants only cover the academic year, ie September-June so there's a 12-week gap during the summer where students don't actually have any income, so they either have to get a temporary job or I should imagine have to sign on for JSA, but those who are disabled, carers and in some cases single parents can get Income Support for the 12 weeks or so and don't have to sign on for work.
    As for Carers Allowance, a benefits advisor told me that the DWP assume that disabled couples will look after each other, which is certainly true in our house. We're both better at doing different things and if one is having a bad day, the other will try to do what needs to get done, as well as giving each other a lot of emotional and moral support, and I should think there are many other couples in our situation that do the same.

hi Caley.

Nice 1 getting it sorted quickly.
    also I don't think you have to explain yourself as to your entitlement to CA

Good luck.

I and hubby are both disabled and I never knew about carers allowance for either of us...hubby gets PIP and I get DLA
    and I do most of the caring for hubby as he cannot do much of anything...so learn something new every day!

Before I started uni, hubby and I were claiming CA for each other as we're both on PIP and we were (and still are) looking after each other. I wondered whether it would be allowed but a benefits advisor reassured me it was fine. I had to end my CA claim when I started my course because I'm doing over 21 hours a week of study, despite the fact I'm still caring for hubby as much as I was before. So if you get DLA middle or high care and your hubby gets PIP daily living either rate, you could claim Carers Allowance for each other as long as you're not earning over about £110 a week each - might be worth looking into but I would get some proper advice before starting a claim as it can sometimes affect other benefits either positively or negatively.

Quote Originally Posted by Runnah View Post
    I'm not sure what to make of this topic, not many students choose to try and get benefits whilst they are on a break.

Also, how on earth is it possible for you to get carers allowance for one another, when you are both disabled?!
    This IS possible, I was advised that when my b/friend and I finally get together, this would be to our advantage. I think it depends on the situation. I would be helping him dialyse ( you DO need another there) and he would be doing many things I can't cuz of my MS.
    And this advice was from a Beenfits Advisor. We are still searching for a place tho.