Thread: Permitted work

Permitted work

Hi, I have found a part time job (16 hours a week)
    It does not contradict with my illness but I was wondering if my ESA would stop, I am in the WRAG group.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

If the work is less than, (or exactly), 16 hours and it pays £115.50 or less, then your ESA will continue to be paid.

Here's my standard advice on doing Permitted Work with ESA -

You can do some 'Permitted Work' whilst claiming ESA, which can include self employment.
    (This is legally called 'Exempt Work', but for simplicity I'll keep using Permitted Work here).

You should inform the DWP if you intend to do, or have already done, any work whilst claiming ESA.
    If this is paid work they will send you form PW1 that you fill in and return.
    They will then confirm that the work is within the permitted limits.
    If you have already done the work and it is not within the limits you may lose benefits.

You can find an example here: Example PW1
    You shouldn't print this off and use it, it is watermarked 'For Information' on each page. Get a form from the Jobcentre or DWP which will have their contact details, etc. filled in.

There are rules with permitted work of course and one of the important ones depends on whether you are in WRAG or Support Group.
    (I will leave out 'supported permitted work' as this has special rules).

Firstly you can do Permitted Work at the Lower Limit - with this you can earn up to £20 a week for an unlimited period. Both WRAG and SG can do this.

Or you can do Permitted Work at the Higher Limit - with this you can earn up to £115.50 after tax and national insurance deductions and the work must be less than 16 hours a week.

If you are in WRAG you can only do this Permitted Work at the Higher Limit for 52 weeks then have to have a 52 week break.
    (Even if you only do Permitted Work for one day that starts the 52 week period after which you can't do anymore for the next 52 weeks).
    The Minister for Employment has recently indicated that this 52 week limit is to be removed in the near future.

If you are in Support Group this 52 week cycle does not apply, you can keep on doing Permitted Work as long as you like.

Money earned from Permitted Work does not affect your ESA payments.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thank you for your help, much appreciated

Do I need to fill out a form or ring them up? I may have sorted a job myself, is this ok or do I need somebody to sort one out for me?

cheers

You need to ask them for a PW1 form, either by phone or at the jobcentre.
    You should fill this in before, or shortly after, you start any work.

It does not matter who found the job, they are only concerned that the hours and earnings fall within the Exempt Work regulations and so is 'Permitted'.

'Permitted Work' is a bit of a misnomer, you do not need the DWP's permission to do Exempt Work.
    But you do need to inform them of any work that you do, especially if you are getting paid for it.
    By telling them before, or shortly after, you do any work they can check that it does fall with the Exempt Work rules.

If you do not inform them and they find out you have worked then they can and will stop your benefit payments whilst they investigate whether the work fell with the Exempt Work regulations or not.

Much better to be upfront about it to avoid any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    You need to ask them for a PW1 form, either by phone or at the jobcentre.
    You should fill this in before, or shortly after, you start any work.

It does not matter who found the job, they are only concerned that the hours and earnings fall within the Exempt Work regulations and so is 'Permitted'.

'Permitted Work' is a bit of a misnomer, you do not need the DWP's permission to do Exempt Work.
    But you do need to inform them of any work that you do, especially if you are getting paid for it.
    By telling them before, or shortly after, you do any work they can check that it does fall with the Exempt Work rules.

If you do not inform them and they find out you have worked then they can and will stop your benefit payments whilst they investigate whether the work fell with the Exempt Work regulations or not.

Much better to be upfront about it to avoid any problems.
    I currently do PW at the lower limit, I am considering doing more hours up to 10 hours per week.

Can you advise if the PW would affect any future assessments in that they could find you fit for work?

Regards.

That's always a tricky question.

It should not affect the WCA because as I said above it is work that is exempt from the ESA regulations.
    The ESA regulations actually call it 'Exempt Work'.
    (The term 'Permitted Work' was coined by the DWP, it is not used in the legislation).

However any work you are doing can indicate that you are indeed able to do some work, and can indicate what else you may be able to manage.

If the work you are doing conflicts with what you are telling them at assessment then they are going to take it into account.

For example- if you are delivering leaflets under PW, you can't then say that you are unable to mobilise and expect them to believe you.

To be honest though- I have never heard anybody say that doing PW has affected a reassessment.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    That's always a tricky question.

It should not affect the WCA because as I said above it is work that is exempt from the ESA regulations.
    The ESA regulations actually call it 'Exempt Work'.
    (The term 'Permitted Work' was coined by the DWP, it is not used in the legislation).

However any work you are doing can indicate that you are indeed able to do some work, and can indicate what else you may be able to manage.

If the work you are doing conflicts with what you are telling them at assessment then they are going to take it into account.

For example- if you are delivering leaflets under PW, you can't then say that you are unable to mobilise and expect them to believe you.

To be honest though- I have never heard anybody say that doing PW has affected a reassessment.
    They are aware that I am doing Permitted work at the lower limit, how do I inform them that I wish to increase the hours from 2.5 up to 10 hours?

If the pay is going to be less than £20 then it will still be PW lower limit, regardless of the hours.

If the pay is going to be more than £20 but less than £115:50 it will be PW higher limit.

Just give them a call and tell them what you will be doing.
    They will probably send you a new PW1 to fill in.