Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Tyres on Motability

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    722

    Tyres on Motability

    Just had my car serviced today. My current car is due to go back in May. The garage said that my tyres were down to 3mm at the front. Would Motability authorise them to be replaced now, or would they have to down to the legal 1.6mm on order to be replaced? I've worked out that I will do around 2,298 miles before the car goes back.

    Any advice i would appreciate.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Lighttouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    3,800

    Kwikfit

    I'd take tour car to the Motability approved tyre company to check them out. From memory I think it's 'Kwikfit'. Phone to double check and book it in. If a tyre or two do need replacing the company will phone Motability to clarify what they plan to do - it won't cost you anything other than your time. Ask them to pump your tyres up, including the spare, while they're at it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    I'd take tour car to the Motability approved tyre company to check them out. From memory I think it's 'Kwikfit'. Phone to double check and book it in. If a tyre or two do need replacing the company will phone Motability to clarify what they plan to do - it won't cost you anything other than your time. Ask them to pump your tyres up, including the spare, while they're at it.
    Cheers, thanks for the advice.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    664
    Quote Originally Posted by CTCELT88 View Post
    Just had my car serviced today. My current car is due to go back in May. The garage said that my tyres were down to 3mm at the front. Would Motability authorise them to be replaced now, or would they have to down to the legal 1.6mm on order to be replaced? I've worked out that I will do around 2,298 miles before the car goes back.

    Any advice i would appreciate.
    Think you will find they have to be down to 2mm.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by paul1234 View Post
    Think you will find they have to be down to 2mm.
    I think my tyres will probably be down to 2mm at the end of May, may not need to get them changed if it passes MOT before it goes back.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    2,293
    Yep Paul is right, 2mm or less and you'll get new tyres.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

    Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    West Wales
    Posts
    200
    If you're concerned about safety just go to Kwik-fit, explain it's a Motability car and you want a tyre check and they do the rest for you, Otherwise leave it for the MOT.

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4
    My husband took our Mitsubishi ASX to the kwik-fit last week to try get new tyres, they were down to 2mm tread and he was sent away after being told by three different branches of kwik-fit that motability authorise tyre change at 1.6mm

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by Karenza View Post
    My husband took our Mitsubishi ASX to the kwik-fit last week to try get new tyres, they were down to 2mm tread and he was sent away after being told by three different branches of kwik-fit that motability authorise tyre change at 1.6mm
    That's strange. Even on Motability's webs site, it says they change them at 2mm. I would contact Motability if i were you, and get it clarified.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    2,293
    Yep, 1.6mm is the legal minimum for tyre tread depth - I wouldn't want to be driving around on tread that thin!

    Motability state 2mm as their change-over point.
    http://www.motabilitycarscheme.co.uk/main.cfm?Type=CSKF

    Use the following quote when you speak to Motability/Kwik Fit to get them to take you seriously.

    If the tyre has not reached the replacement limit and you are going on a long journey or drive a considerable distance each week, please let Kwik-Fit know and they will be happy to consider this when deciding if the tyre needs to be replaced.
    Kwik Fit online
    http://www.motability.kwik-fit.com/
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

    Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Similar Threads

  1. Motability, Recovery and Tyres
    By Eddie864 in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 28-10-14, 19:56
  2. Do kwik-Fit mix and match tyres
    By Mr-Grumpy in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22-10-14, 12:48
  3. Tyres on Motability
    By Mandyboops in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 25-11-12, 23:18
  4. Average Cost of Wheelchair Tyres?
    By takemeasiam in forum Ask a question about equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-12, 16:40
  5. Advice on wheelchair Tyres please
    By the_kempe in forum Ask a question about equipment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22-11-11, 13:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •