Thread: More Brown Envelope fun & games

More Brown Envelope fun & games

2 brown envelopes arrived this morning, 2 letters from the DWP both dated the 5th July 2016.

The first letter says-
    "From 14 November 2015 your Employment and Support Allowance will be £102.15 a week."
    "This is because you will have reached the maximum of 365 days for which you can get contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance."

The last page of this letter sets out the the personal allowance and WRAG component, totals them to £102.15, and then says-
    "The amounts on this page apply from 11 April 2015 to 24 April 2015."

The second letter says-
    "From 2 July 2016 your Employment and Support Allowance will be £60.45 a week."
    "This is because you will have reached the maximum of 365 days for which you can get contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance."

The last page of this letter sets out the the personal allowance and WRAG component, totals them to £102.15, and then says-
    "The amounts on this page apply from 11 April 2015 to 24 April 2015."

Both letters contain wrong, conflicting, dates.
    The second letter gives conflicting payment amounts on the first and last pages.
    And I have not been on Contribution Based ESA since January 2012 when the 365 days actually ran out.

What a total Balls-up.
    They are obviously using old letters and just changing a few things, then not checking them before sending them out.

I think that I know what its about (possible Fuel Direct payments) but it's now going to take hours to sort out just what is going on when the phone lines open on Monday.

Maybe a written complaint as well about lazy staff not checking dates and amounts are correct on letters before they send them out.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

It's a good job you are on the ball nukecad. I would still be scratching my head trying to make sense of it.

Quote Originally Posted by buble48 View Post
    It's a good job you are on the ball nukecad. I would still be scratching my head trying to make sense of it.
    Well I am scratching my head, I think I know what it's about but nothing on the letters says why they have been sent.
    (Apart from the incorrect reason about CB benefit ending).

And why send 2 contradictory letters, that each also contain the contradictions mentioned above?
    (Maybe whoever sent the first one realised it was wrong and so sent the second, getting that wrong as well? Who can guess?).

I've had a closer look at the letters and it seems from the code numbers at the bottom that what I called the second letter (with the 2 July 2016 and the reduced payment) was printed before what I had called the first (with 14 Nov 2015 and the full WRAG payment).
    Curiouser and curiouser...

Still, can't do anything about it until Monday now so no point in letting it get to me.

And when you ring them, they won't have a clue, will probably promise you a call back and then not bother, as seems to be the normal standard of DWP incompetence. My local council used to send out conflicting letters about housing/council tax benefit all the time when I worked with the elderly and caused no end of stress and worry to some of them when they became convinced they owed hundreds of pounds despite being entitled to full benefit. These organisations just do not think about what effect these incorrect letters are causing to people.
    Here's hoping you can it sorted out as soon as possible!

Sounds like they have mixed up the letters when putting them into envelope. Like everyone else didn't get a letter about benefit this year but last years had those weird dates on i did ring and was told it was a computer error. Goodluck when you ring them hope you get it sorted

So things become a bit clearer (only a bit).

Before being on hold for ages listening to Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boohoo.gif 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.8 KB 
ID:	1615, I decided to ring my electricity supplier.

Their free 0800 number was answered after 2 rings by a real person.
    They confirmed that (as I had suspected) their computer system was showing that Fuel Direct payments of £41.70/week had been agreed.

DWP have jumped the gun a bit, I hadn't yet agreed to this high level of deduction - but I was going to have to agree it for the moment.
    (Long story with my electricity supplier, some may remember me mentioning it before - it's been going on for 2 years now).

So I'm not going to ring the DWP today, thus saving my phone credit (and my eardrums from Vivaldi).
    I will assume that my next payment, due this coming Friday will only be £120.90. (But I won't be surprised if it's a full rate payment of £204.30 either).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Just a bit of info about Fuel Direct and other 3rd party deductions from Income Related ESA.

You can have some bills paid directly from some Income Related benefits, IR ESA is one of them.
    https://www.gov.uk/bills-benefits
    You can request this and so can a company that you owe money to.

Without your agreement they can only deduct a maximum of £3.70 for arrears and no more than than 25% of ESA Personal Allowance for ongoing usage payments.
    Up to 3 ppayments can be made to different companies, but there is also a cap on how much can be taken in total without your agreement. (I think it's currently 40%).

With your agreement they can take any amount for ongoing usage as long as it leaves at least 10p/week ESA being paid to you.

The DWP don't like this scheme, but they have no choice if you or the company requests it.
    They will make it awkward to set up, it's just taken me 2 months of "well it's showing on the system, but for some reason no-one has actioned it" before they have finally done something.

Well at least it seems like you have a better idea now so that's good

Just an update.

ESA went into the bank- the full £204.30.

I think I'll get onto the electricity supplier and get them to sort it out with the DWP.
    That way it won't cost me for the phone calls, and the DWP will probably take more notice of a large company.

Hi nukecad,

I am a new member and you appear to be very wise. Can you please take a look at my post and give any advice regarding my mum's ESA situation?

Many thanks!