Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hearing loss aids

Quote Originally Posted by oimum View Post
    Thank you every one for your help I am aware all these aids are available, if I buy them myself I never would have thought of a hearing dog, thought you woyld have to live alone to have one. Might just do a little research
    They give them to families and children too (think they have to be over a certain age). They are amazing and transform many lives. Here's the link to their website: https://www.hearingdogs.org.uk

Thank you bluemoon have looked already think a sound dog would suit me as its really only household noises I would need help with. When my grandsonvstays with us I have to get up when hubby goes to work at 530am as I need to wear my hearing aids to hear him cry, this is what I done with my ownbchildren as well when they were little, will havevto have chat with hubby about getting a doggy

There is a very long ?5 year wait for hearing dogs, and a lot more applicants than they have capacity to train dogs.

That said, a dog is a huge asset (and responsibility) to most families, especially in those with hearing loss. I trained my own hearing dog and my circumstances have meant that although he's not registered as an assistance dog, he has worked along side me for 7 years now. He's an absolute star. Even my other dog (not trained to tell me about sounds) improves my awareness of what's going on around me considerably.

Locally the Fire Service will install mains flashing light smoke detectors for free.

Flashing doorbells are pretty main stream these days and so don't cost a deal if you go to for example Maplin or B&Q

If you've anybody a little geeky around sound detectors are relatively simple to put together (speaking as a geek myself) and would make a little GCSE level project for small people