Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hearing loss aids

Hearing loss aids

Ive been using two hearing aids for many years, and have bought an alarm clock with vibrating pad. I could really do with something to alert me to telephone, door and smoke alarms, is it possible to get aids like this from an OT they are all very expensive to buy. Now my kids have flown the nest and hubby works shifts im feeling very vulnerable.

I knew someone who had lights in lounge and bedroom if the door or phone went but i think they paid for them. You could ask your gp if an ot would be able to help. You could try this website, www.bda.org.uk or take a look at this site http://www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk/com...ing-loss-1252/ goodluck

Thank you for the links doesnt seem to be a service for hearing loss equipment as there is for mobility problems ie adapted bathrooms, wheelchairs, grab rails etc. Oh well hopefully my pip claim will he successful , thks for your help.

Council Sensory Impairment Team?

Quote Originally Posted by oimum View Post
    Ive been using two hearing aids for many years, and have bought an alarm clock with vibrating pad. I could really do with something to alert me to telephone, door and smoke alarms, is it possible to get aids like this from an OT they are all very expensive to buy. Now my kids have flown the nest and hubby works shifts im feeling very vulnerable.
    In our local area you can go to the Council for aids and adaptations, although that may just be for Council tenants. They might be able to advise on the best place to buy aids from, if you do have to pay.

Thank you liz unfortunately im in n.ireland so council doesnt do things like that, just seems strange you can get lots of aids and adaptions through OT for mobility health issues

Not really 'equipment' but a brilliant thing to alert you to things is if you like dogs and do not currently have a pet dog you could apply for a Hearing Dog for Deaf People. I have one and it is amazing how much he has changed my life

there are definitely flashing light doorbells around and ditto for smoke alarms. I should have a word with sociak services to see what they can provide first but I found these
    https://www.actiononhearingloss.org..../alerting.aspx

Some of them do seem expensive but I suppose when its your safety in the case of smoke alarms....

Quote Originally Posted by oimum View Post
    Thank you for the links doesnt seem to be a service for hearing loss equipment as there is for mobility problems ie adapted bathrooms, wheelchairs, grab rails etc. Oh well hopefully my pip claim will he successful , thks for your help.
    I just reclicked on links i gave you one is british deaf association and the other is for people with hearing loss you have to click on the bits to find out more like door bells etc so not sure you read it properly. Hope you sort something for yourself

Thank you every one for your help I am aware all these aids are available, if I buy them myself I never would have thought of a hearing dog, thought you woyld have to live alone to have one. Might just do a little research

Super Moderator
    Hi Oimum

There are products that help with hearing problems on our site. There is a range of equipment here including doorbell amplifiers, induction loops, telephones etc ; http://www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk/com.../hearing-3625/

There are lnks to some useful organisations here; http://www.dlf-data.org.uk/report_it...3e906b689&view

I hope this is useful

Dlfteam