Thread: Make money out of your car

Make money out of your car

Whipcar - the average car is used one hour a day.

I was listening to a chat show on Radio 2 today about an alternative to buying a car. Or making money out of the car you own.

I checked the website to find I could earn up to £32 a day or £7 an hour, £192 per week by renting it out when I don't need it. All WhipCar drivers are checked by DVLA. The company provides insurance and breakdown cover.

There are 6 WhipCar drivers within 2 miles of me.

It does make you wonder . . .

http://youtu.be/RNHKzFuUK3E

http://www.sustainability.com/blog/v...n#.T1ZN0K70zWM
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 06-03-12 at 17:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Whipcar - the average car is used one hour a day.

I was listening to a chat show on Radio 2 today about an alternative to buying a car. Or making money out of the car you own.

I checked the website to find I could earn up to £32 a day or £7 an hour, £192 per week by renting it out when I don't need it. All WhipCar drivers are checked by DVLA. The company provides insurance and breakdown cover.

There are 6 WhipCar drivers within 2 miles of me.

It does make you wonder . . .

http://youtu.be/RNHKzFuUK3E

http://www.sustainability.com/blog/v...n#.T1ZN0K70zWM
    Dont think Motabilty would like that idea...

don't you have to keep an eye on your mileage usage ?

I'm not sure I would entertain this idea while leasing through Motability. There are questions I would ask like how far are you travelling, do they refill the tank after using it.

I think it's a good idea because when you look into the cost of running a car it is very expensive. As I'm not 'territorial' I don't think I would mind other people using my car if they were respectful and returned the car in the condition it left me.

You appear to have the right to say 'no' you can't hire it.

I think at one time people really relied on cars to see friends and family. Now there are other means of communicating from home using skype, facebook, myspace, Twitter, email etc so the car is used for less things so why not share it as it's redundant for many hours a day.

Let's call it food for thought. I should think this type of scheme is very popular in Central London where parking might be an issue.

I don't think I'd mind sharing if it was someone local that I knew and trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    I'm not sure I would entertain this idea while leasing through Motability. There are questions I would ask like how far are you travelling, do they refill the tank after using it.

I think it's a good idea because when you look into the cost of running a car it is very expensive. As I'm not 'territorial' I don't think I would mind other people using my car if they were respectful and returned the car in the condition it left me.

You appear to have the right to say 'no' you can't hire it.

I think at one time people really relied on cars to see friends and family. Now there are other means of communicating from home using skype, facebook, myspace, Twitter, email etc so the car is used for less things so why not share it as it's redundant for many hours a day.

Let's call it food for thought. I should think this type of scheme is very popular in Central London where parking might be an issue.

I don't think I'd mind sharing if it was someone local that I knew and trusted.
    Sure if you read through the lease it precludes this and would lead to the car being take away.