Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speeding Ticket

Speeding Ticket

We've received notice of intended prosecution for doing 35mph in a 30 limit.
    Now we don't knoe who was behind the wheel at the time as the notice was not clear whereabouts in the village the mobile speed-trap was so the police kindly sent me a photo and sure enough it shows the car doing 34.7mph but we cannot see the driver clearly or really identify where it took place. that is important as both my wife and I used the car that morning wy wife poped to the shops and I went to hospital. One way to the shop and the other way to the Hospital, I phoned up for clarification but the only hard fact is that one of us broke the law.
    fair enough I said 'as my wife already has 3 points for a similar offense (36mph) I'll give my details.
    The guy said he didn't care who did it as long as the details are received within 7 days.
    It occures to me though that an MP & his wife are being prosecuted at this very time.

Just for your reference you will get a ticket for a speeding offence if you're doing 10% over the speed limit plus 2 mph. So the allowance in your 30 mph area is 30 plus 3 plus 2 - A max of 35 mph after which you'll get a ticket (that's what I was told by a policeman so you're very unlucky). In the old days a bobby would pull you over and you could charm your way of being given a ticket - the good old days! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Just for your reference you will get a ticket for a speeding offence if you're doing 10% over the speed limit plus 2 mph. So the allowance in your 30 mph area is 30 plus 3 plus 2 - A max of 35 mph after which you'll get a ticket (that's what I was told by a policeman so you're very unlucky). In the old days a bobby would pull you over and you could charm your way of being given a ticket - the good old days! lol
    Sorry, as a Magistrate that is untrue. The offence is speeding in excess of the posted speed limit that can be 31MPH in a 30MPH, in fcat in our area, between 30 and 35 MPH you can either take the points and the £60 finbe, or take a speeding class (One every three years ) for £60
    Speedometers are deliberatly calibrateed lower than the actual speed shown, for a variety of reasons including wear on tyres etc, Also, it is an offence not to provide details of the driver at the time and it is up to you to keep an accurate record of who was driving. To claim for points reasons it was somone else is an offence and can come back to haunt you and possibly lose your Mobility car as well as a fine and points on your licence and the other persons as well for ading in the offence.

After what has been said I would challenge this, not on the grounds it was not you ro your wife, but the fact you cannot say who it was. Say you are willing to accept this, but who's details do you give? Make sure it is legal, & in writing, then if there is any comeback you can show you did the right thing.

The difference between you & your wife, & the MP & his wife is that it is alleged he lied intentionally, & that she did too.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by tinker View Post
    We've received notice of intended prosecution for doing 35mph in a 30 limit.
    Now we don't knoe who was behind the wheel at the time as the notice was not clear whereabouts in the village the mobile speed-trap was so the police kindly sent me a photo and sure enough it shows the car doing 34.7mph but we cannot see the driver clearly or really identify where it took place. that is important as both my wife and I used the car that morning wy wife poped to the shops and I went to hospital. One way to the shop and the other way to the Hospital, I phoned up for clarification but the only hard fact is that one of us broke the law.
    fair enough I said 'as my wife already has 3 points for a similar offense (36mph) I'll give my details.
    The guy said he didn't care who did it as long as the details are received within 7 days.
    It occures to me though that an MP & his wife are being prosecuted at this very time.
    Have a good look through this link it may help you understand what you are up against and clear up some of your confusion,

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=5

good luck,

T.

I've tried the calculator and it says you'll still get fined going 1mph over the speed limit which is rubbish.

Let's put it this way - as I was told by a policeman what margins are allowed as I outlined above. I've actually put it to the test be doing slightly more than the speed limit and creeping past a police car! They never bothered to pull me over to give me a penalty charge.

I know one thing, it often depends on the police officer, their instructions at the time, & the agreed plans for that venue at that time. I am not sure about cameras.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    I've tried the calculator and it says you'll still get fined going 1mph over the speed limit which is rubbish.

Let's put it this way - as I was told by a policeman what margins are allowed as I outlined above. I've actually put it to the test be doing slightly more than the speed limit and creeping past a police car! They never bothered to pull me over to give me a penalty charge.
    Lighttouch,
    As I have explained, its not rubbish whatsoever, the law is quite specific and laid down in statute. in this case 30MPH is the MAXIMUM, not a maybe.
    As for creeping past the poilice, all speedometers are calibrated low and if you think you are doing 30MPH or just above you actual posted speed will be lower, hence the lack of interest.

Shouldn't we being doing just under the sped limit then we would never have to worry about breaking the law and getting tickets!!!

Good point Sam. In may cases the speed limit is not wise, or safe.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen