Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Walk-in shower quote

Walk-in shower quote

Well, my bathroom is still serviceable after 18 years but now I want to rip everything out to create a walk in shower.

I've had my cousin around today to thrash out access related design issues. He works for himself and his prime job is fitting bathrooms so he knows what he's talking about.

He likes to design, purchase and install everything from scratch. As this involves radical design solutions it means no bathroom for 3 weeks!

He reckons after purchasing the main items, skip hire, tiling, labour etc there won't be much change from £6000. That doesn't surprise me as Age UK quoted the same!

So my place will be out of action for three weeks. Looks like I'll need to find a holiday abroad for a week of two!

Any suggestions!

That sounds way too much.
    Get some more quotes from local tradesmen based roughly on what is planned.

Did you tell him what you had been quoted previously? If so, big mistake. That is way too much. I have had one bathroom refurbished with shower wall all round and a new shower. Shower wall is very expensive and I have a large bathroom. It came to less than half that price. The 2nd bathroom was made from scratch specifically designed to cater for my disability and still no where near that much, again using shower wall.

Get more quotes and DO NOT mention what you have been quoted previously.

I had this done via my OT, walk in shower, non slip floor, shower wall and seat fitted to the wall, I didn't pay, my point is wouldn't you be able to get it via an assessment with your local OT.

This is a good send to me.

LT will get no help at all, it is means tested.

Beaus right. Although I'm considered to be 'profoundly disabled' because I have savings I'm not eligible for work done by the Council. I could dip with a ramp too but no sorry can't do!

I saw a great walk-in shower at the hotel I stayed in - it had masses of room too.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    LT will get no help at all, it is means tested.
    Och away....well in Scotland I had to have a walk in shower with 'shower wall' fitted and hubby was working then and -although we had to pay a proportion of the total bill the majority of it was paid from Occupational Health grant ...the regional council paid part too. It would be advisable to approach your local council to see if anything would be available to help with the bill. Mind you, up in Scotland things may be different. Good luck anyway, and good advice in getting several quotes.

I am the same LT, because I worked and saved hard for most of my life before my disability we are now penalised for any help with costs at all. Makes me wonder whether it was worth scrimping and saving. Why didn't I blow the lot every month and bu***r the future

LT. just how much of a walk in do you require? I fitted out a full bathroom for my elderly neighbour and on a tight budget, opted for a shallow tray, 35mm high, sat it on joists with 18mm floorboards removed, that left 17mm raised lip. then 10mm cushionfloor, left 7 mm lip. just over 1/4 ".. shower mat in front and practically level..............Base is 3 foot by 4 foot, corner fit so one side panel and 30 inch door with panel to make up to 4 feet. Timber shower seat hung from wall ( vat free from disability supplier), and large fixed overhead shower with usual hand held showerhead option.........Everything for shower inc tiles was less than £600 and very decent quality. Been in everyday use for 4 years without a glitch.

Hello LT. Was in the plumbing-tiling business for years, 13 of which were self-employed before a brain heamorraghe, brain anyerusm, five Tia's, diagnoses of ARVC and arthritis in three years put an end to it (just call me lucky lol)The first problem I see is the term 'access related design issues' as you say the bathroom is serviceable. So if I'm right it's just a refurb.
    All materials I'm quoting prices for would be mid range region. Toilet £90, wash basin & stand with taps £110, nice radiator (towel rads need to be big as the smaller ones don't give of much heat) £150 tiles and materials (adhesive, grout, trims, tanking system etc) of say an average 30sq meter bathroom £900, shower head, taps and door for a wet room £350 and fixes and fittings etc ie pipe, valves and screws etc £100, midi skip £150. As sink, toilet and bath can fit in easily along with old tiles.
    Wet rooms are the way to go, shower cubicles with trays and enclosed shower doors are not nice especially council fitted disabled ones. A good wet room that is done properly ie tanked and tiles applied right and to a sound structure is so low maintenance.
    Even a small bathroom can accommodate one with very little design and structure work, mind a bit more work if it's a bungalow with solid floors.
    Usually most toilets and sinks don't have to move far, if at all as the shower can be put where the bath used to be.
    We could turn one out from start to finish in around 4-6 days and prices including all materials would range from £3000-£4000.
    All work done by me tiler/joiner/plumber, my mate plumber and another mate spark. Very rarely does a bathroom being re-tiled need plastered as all structural work can be done in timber and marine grade plywood and other walls just need a good prep before tiling.
    As your in Manchester the price sounds a bit expensive as certain areas carry a premium for trades men, like parts of southern England and London. Due to area and not quality of work carried out.
    Again the time taken to carry out the work seems very long. Look on line for the main stuff you want and get prices to give you an idea of their cost and then you can work out roughly how much you are getting charged for labourer.
    Any queries just pm me and I'll try to help.
    GL.
    Last edited by smokie899; 20-06-16 at 23:44.