Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: mandatory reconsideration pip

mandatory reconsideration pip

I have started a new thread in the hope of getting more replies.

I got my decision for pip (second attempt) and was once again turned down. It said on the letter if unhappy I could ask for a mandatory reconsideration. I called the number expecting to be able to request to speak to the decision maker but I was asked why I wanted this by the call centre staff who answered. I was asked why and if I had any extra evidence. I told him I did not have any evidence but none of the written submission or the things said at my assessment were listened to or taken into consideration.

I was then told it would be about 8 weeks.

I could not believe that that was it. I had my mandatory reconsideration done with just a less than two minute phone call.

Is this how it works now? You used to get to talk to them first. This seemed so unfair.

This is the same as what I done for my reconsideraction, I also got told 8weeks.. im now approaching week 6. I am starting to get my facts together to prepare for a appeal as I'm not hopeful for a win on the recon.. good luck Karen x

Sorry to hear you got turned down again Karen x

Thanks for the replies. So that is it then, I have done my mandatory reconsideration with the call centre staff? It seems so unfair that the decision maker does not get involved because I wanted to show her how wrong she was in not considering any evidence.

I now feel like making a misdiagnosis claim as I was diagnosed asd after years in mental health. I was quite hopeful as carl30 was in a similar position and got his daily living and I felt less able than carl as I do not even drive due to not being able to think so many things at once.

I am a female asd so I guess that's the difference. It's unrecognised in adults even though life is such a struggle and along the way we have fallen so many times never knowing why. It was a relief in the end to be diagnosed but now I wonder if they are wrong as the dwp have casted doubts. They don't believe my difficulties and I cannot prove them as they don't live here with me or know my mind and how it struggles so much understanding what others take for granted exhausting me. So very wrong and my depression is back because I am called a fraud. It was the dwp saying I only had anxiety that forced us into pusuing a daignosis. Do they say that to everyone with autism. They have messed up my life so much. So very very much. I don't know who I am anymore.

My facts were written in my 7 page submission provided with my application. I don't have anymore facts. They have ignored most of them. I don't know if capita have ignored them too. I need to pluck up courage to ask for a copy of report. How do I do this?
    Last edited by KAREN SV; 06-06-16 at 08:10.

Quote Originally Posted by KAREN SV View Post
    Thanks for the replies. So that is it then, I have done my mandatory reconsideration with the call centre staff? It seems so unfair that the decision maker does not get involved because I wanted to show her how wrong she was in not considering any evidence.

I now feel like making a misdiagnosis claim as I was diagnosed asd after years in mental health. I was quite hopeful as carl30 was in a similar position and got his daily living and I felt less able than carl as I do not even drive due to not being able to think so many things at once.

I am a female asd so I guess that's the difference. It's unrecognised in adults even though life is such a struggle and along the way we have fallen so many times never knowing why. It was a relief in the end to be diagnosed but now I wonder if they are wrong as the dwp have casted doubts. They don't believe my difficulties and I cannot prove them as they don't live here with me or know my mind and how it struggles so much understanding what others take for granted exhausting me. So very wrong and my depression is back because I am called a fraud. It was the dwp saying I only had anxiety that forced us into pusuing a daignosis. Do they say that to everyone with autism. They have messed up my life so much. So very very much. I don't know who I am anymore.

My facts were written in my 7 page submission provided with my application. I don't have anymore facts. They have ignored most of them. I don't know if capita have ignored them too. I need to pluck up courage to ask for a copy of report. How do I do this?
    Well , as a person with a severe mental illness I can tell you that I recognize you want to explain but that apparently isn't how it works these days .It's about how you cope on a day to day basis. The assessor doesn't care , mine seemed sympathetic but scored 0 points . When the decision maker rang he said he went off the medical assessors face to face with me . When asked about considering what I wrote in the application form he said he couldn't go against what she had said.
    After submitting Mandatory Reconsideration that result wasn't changed .You don't get the chance to tell them how wrong they are I'm afraid .Looks like it's only at appeal you get the chance to explain yourself properly.
    As for your 7 page submission , I did a 3 page one . When I showed it to a CAB worker she said it wouldn't even be looked at , bullet points are all that's needed .

Quote Originally Posted by Starman View Post
    Well , as a person with a severe mental illness I can tell you that I recognize you want to explain but that apparently isn't how it works these days .It's about how you cope on a day to day basis. The assessor doesn't care , mine seemed sympathetic but scored 0 points . When the decision maker rang he said he went off the medical assessors face to face with me . When asked about considering what I wrote in the application form he said he couldn't go against what she had said.
    After submitting Mandatory Reconsideration that result wasn't changed .You don't get the chance to tell them how wrong they are I'm afraid .Looks like it's only at appeal you get the chance to explain yourself properly.
    As for your 7 page submission , I did a 3 page one . When I showed it to a CAB worker she said it wouldn't even be looked at , bullet points are all that's needed .
    I realise what you are saying. But surely if it's about saving money then saving a court case is the answer and to look through all that is written. I wrote 7 pages of examples throughout my life where I have been vulnerable and confused and overwhelmed due to my asd or as it was severe depression and anxiety. I needed help a long time ago but never gave up until it got to the stage I just could not carry on anymore. I went through so much. Everything overwhelmed me. This overwhelmes me now. I don't know what I should be doing. I am now thinking I was misdiagnosed maybe because capita and dwp think I don't have normal problems that most with asd do. It's confusing and I seem to be going over and over the past again and again. I feel so down. I am a liar and a cheat but I was diagnosed not just on paper. I had a half day full assessment for autism and they told me they knew within 5 minutes of meeting me. Who is right....the autism people on the nhs or the dwp and capita. Confused, confused, confused confused
    Last edited by KAREN SV; 06-06-16 at 10:09.

I realise what you are saying. But surely if it's about saving money then saving a court case is the answer and to look through all that is written. I wrote 7 pages of examples throughout my life where I have been vulnerable and confused and overwhelmed due to my asd or as it was severe depression and anxiety. I needed help a long time ago but never gave up until it got to the stage I just could not carry on anymore. I went through so much. Everything overwhelmed me. This overwhelmes me now. I don't know what I should be doing. I am now thinking I was misdiagnosed maybe because capita and dwp think I don't have normal problems that most with asd do. It's confusing and I seem to be going over and over the past again and again. I feel so down. I am a liar and a cheat but I was diagnosed not just on paper. I had a half day full assessment for autism and they told me they knew within 5 minutes of meeting me. Who is right....the autism people on the nhs or the dwp and capita. Confused, confused, confused confused
    Try not to upset yourself .
    Of course I agree with your rational logic that going to an appeal is costing money. Who knows what their weird thinking is on this ?
    Capita isn't bothered about anything as far as I can see except obeying DWP instructions to get as many people off sickness benefits as is possible .
    The NHS employs qualified people ? DWP decision makers are not qualified in illnesses and disabilities? They just go off their rules .
    Who then knows best ? I guess the best chances of explaining are via going to an an appeal where at least a doctor is present .

Hello Karen SV

Sorry to read about your PIP decision.

A thought occurred to me when I read about you writing seven pages of examples throughout your life where you have been vulnerable, confused and overwhelmed.
    due to your asd.
    Can I ask if these examples 'matched up' or related to any of the PIP descriptors? As I wonder if they did not relate to the PIP descriptors
    Whether they were ever taken into account in the decision making.

Not that I am any expert on PIP, as I failed my DLA to PIP migration. My tribunal (gulp!) is next week and I am very, very anxious about it.

It feels so difficult when our illness/disabilities don't neatly match up to the PIP descriptors.

Quote Originally Posted by buble48 View Post
    Hello Karen SV

Sorry to read about your PIP decision.

A thought occurred to me when I read about you writing seven pages of examples throughout your life where you have been vulnerable, confused and overwhelmed.
    due to your asd.
    Can I ask if these examples 'matched up' or related to any of the PIP descriptors? As I wonder if they did not relate to the PIP descriptors
    Whether they were ever taken into account in the decision making.

Not that I am any expert on PIP, as I failed my DLA to PIP migration. My tribunal (gulp!) is next week and I am very, very anxious about it.

It feels so difficult when our illness/disabilities don't neatly match up to the PIP descriptors.
    Good luck with your tribunal. I applied before and got turned down and appealed and could not go due to my nerves. I really could not cope.

Hi, I would say engaging, not looking after myself properly, not knowing just how ill I had gotten and spending money I had not got due to depression. Not having money for taxis so not travelling as it meant going by bus and having to pay for someone else to go with me in the past when I did go by bus in order to get help. I will think of more examples. Hitting rock bottom when I had to engage. Lots I thought related to their questions and was evidence of my difficulties. I need quiet time, alone time too much and to go anywhere I need to prepare and it takes a long time to prepare...if I ever do. I don't plan routes, my husband takes me and he navigates as I am busy preparing talking to people and concentrating on that alone. Too much input and I shut down. Self harming because I cannot feel and think like others. Saying the wrong things and getting into trouble for it but not knowing why.
    Being vulnerable in the workplace with others. Not being able to ask for help as I dont travel to do it so rely on email and have not known how to. Needing money for taxis to get back to my safe place quickly when overwhelmed and dizzy.

Making so many mistakes in life with having no help early on that I am traumatised by them and relive them daily.

Being underweight due to not making time to eat. Taking pro plus daily just to have energy to do it all. Not being able to cope as teenager with high school. Wrong decisions about money so often. Not being able to maintain friendships. Self medicating to soothe in drugs, drink. Taking myself off my bp medication as I thought I was better necessatating hospital.
    Last edited by KAREN SV; 06-06-16 at 18:36.

So that is it then, I have done my mandatory reconsideration with the call centre staff? It seems so unfair that the decision maker does not get involved because I wanted to show her how wrong she was in not considering any evidence.
    No; your MR has not been done in a couple of minutes, you have just requested it.

It will now be actioned for a decision maker to look at, and it should be a different DM from the one who made the original decision.

If this DM wants to speak to you about the MR then he/she will phone you.
    (I have had this phone call from a DM in the past, but don't hold your breath).

Try looking at it another way; the sooner your MR is out of the way the sooner you can appeal to the court, which is where you are more likely to succeed.

To get a copy of the assessment report just ring them again and ask for both the assessors report and the DM's report.
    (You should automatically get these if you go to appeal, they will be provided in the DWP's appeal bundle).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.