Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No hot water

No hot water

Hi all

I'm a council tenant, and live I a large block of flats, we pay the council for heating and hot water, my heating runs 365 a year but I can turn it off when I don't need it. (It's been turned off for the summer now)

The boiler serves over 1000 homes, and on Friday I went for a shower to find that after 5 minutes the water was cold, I spoke to the engineering firm who are responsible for the heat and hot water and they told me it wouldn't be fixed before Monday at the earliest!

Is this legal? The council have to provide the facility for a hot water supply, not the hot water it self, but as we are not in control of our own supply and we pay an advance fee I dont see how this can be legal!

Sorry for the rant.

The communal boiler may need parts , and the companies that supply those parts did not have in stock the needed part/s and had to order them, or the councils maintenance /gas safe engineer was not available over the weekend ,due to other commitments or the fact that they don't work over the weekends,

Whilst this doesn't help you , i would not say it is not unreasonable, But if you were without hot running water for 7 working days or more then you would have grounds for complaint , also if they supply both heating and hot running water inclusive , i would also be cautious about barking , as you may be better off using this scheme than you would be if you had your own boiler and had to pay a utility company for gas to heat your home and for hot water , so if you would be better off as you are , maybe you should accept it for what it is, and take the rough with the smooth ?
    Last edited by tom34; 05-06-16 at 19:55.

If your'e a council tenant, it should be fixed soon. You really can't expect someone our from the COUNCIL on a weekend. Anyway, shouldn't be too long....there will be 1000 calls come monday.
    Till then, its boil kettles and well more kettles. And yeah I have been in the same boat. Think yourself lucky. My friend was without hot water for 18 months.

Just to clarify a few things.

1 The heating and hot water charge is in no way subsidised, in fact.
    2. I recently came apon an article (about 2 years ago) that suggested that our council had been caught overcharging tenants for H&HW this didn't come as a surprise to me as I remember as long ago as 1988 grumbling to the girls at work I believed I was paying far more for H&HW than if we'd paid for it though our utility bills.
    3. The council do not maintain the boiler, it's maintained by an independent contractor with a 24/7 service.
    4. I was told on Friday the part needed too repair our boiler was being flown in today (Monday)

But!

The blocks have come to the end of their life expectancy and have concrete fatigue (they were built with a 30 life expectancy but have now stood for 40 years) Our particular part of London is undergoing a mass building (luxury homes) program. The estate here is made up of mostly green space and car parking (the land here must be worth an extortionate amount of money)

Now, I could be wrong, but I'm wondering if this is just part of a cunning plan!

I've just been told it won't be back on until at least Wednesday or Thursday!

I'ts just one of those things that happens.

If it was your own house and it was up to you to call a heating repairman you probably wouldn't get it done any faster.

At least your not going to get a big bill for a new boiler.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

You did say in your opening remarks "i'm a council tenant"...Its probably not a cunning plan, just indication of aging boiler. Obviously to serve 1,000 people, its a Big Jobbie!
    So no i'm not surprised. Try your local gym, or swimming baths (for a shower). Wash up once a day (using less water). Washing? Laundrette. Its a pain but temporary.

You need to find out the conditions of your council's Right to Repair scheme and find out which repairs are covered and the length of time it takes to do the work.

Compensation may be available if the council does not meet their obligations.

More information here:

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad..._repair_scheme

But you must check your council specific scheme.

Hi Reddivine, I'm immobile like a lot of disabled folk (no car) can't get to nearest leisure centre, all our local launderettes like most of the country have closed, or gone service wash only (not many of those) local gyms are hotel guest only.

But hot water is back on today, fantastic I'm back in business.

Quote Originally Posted by Archersmate View Post
    Hi Reddivine, I'm immobile like a lot of disabled folk (no car) can't get to nearest leisure centre, all our local launderettes like most of the country have closed, or gone service wash only (not many of those) local gyms are hotel guest only.

But hot water is back on today, fantastic I'm back in business.
    Very happy for you.....but.....kettles and sink and washcloth should be handy on occasions such as you experienced. When I was a wee girl, am 65 now, I remember getting up to a freezing cold house..no central heating just a coal fire that someone had to set and light for heat, and usually in the winter months frozen pipes so no wash before heading out to school...just a lick from mother on a cloth to wipe our face. Oh happy days!