Thread: Adaptions for bathing

Adaptions for bathing

I have no knowledge of the adaptions process and what is available. So I ask this question with complete ignorance !

Is there provision within the body who funds adaptions for a walk in bath ?

Not sure about a bath, I would love that, for a shower there is for sure. You need to contact Social Services. You will be assessed, then you can discus your needs for any adaptations. I have not heard of them agreeing to a bath, it is usually a disabled, wet-floor shower.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Stepheninleeds View Post
    Not sure about a bath, I would love that, for a shower there is for sure. You need to contact Social Services. You will be assessed, then you can discus your needs for any adaptations. I have not heard of them agreeing to a bath, it is usually a disabled, wet-floor shower.
    I already have a wet room with shower downstairs that I paid for myself. But it also contains the toilet. Once you've had a shower in there everything is wet and slippery for around 2 hours. But I have to have baths for pain management which means going upstairs and using a step system I had made in order to get in the bath. I wondered if any funding could be part made and I'll pay the rest to get a walk in bath installed.

Ah, I see. Yes. Do you use a shower curtain? You can get grants for adaptations, but as you have facilities I am not sure if they would give you a grant. You could see if you can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant from your Council.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Stepheninleeds View Post
    Ah, I see. Yes. Do you use a shower curtain? You can get grants for adaptations, but as you have facilities I am not sure if they would give you a grant. You could see if you can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant from your Council.
    There is a shower curtain, but the way the wetroom has been designed it's of little use. I have quite a powerful extraction fan, but even that don't clear the moisture for at least 45 minutes. Opening the window works, except it opens four feet from the street (eek!). I will contact my local council and OT and see if any help can be given. I should imagine these walk in baths can be picked up second hand which would save money if I have to pay for the adaption myself.

Our showerroom is not too badly designed. I had to fight though last time to have a proper shower curtain fitted properly. They forget you need things in with you that you do not want to get wet through.

I am not sure about secondhand, I know some can be very cheap, but not sure if cheapest is best. I suppose you will have to look around, either way as if you can get a grant I doubt it would be for the top of the range ones.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Did a troll on this subject. And what I found was that you need to contact the local council first. and they will put yu in contact with a Homes Adaptation Team. They are in contact with the DWP and have funds to help pay for any adaptions you need. They get a grant each year from the government to help disabled with needs that go beyond what the council are able to (laws saying what they have and haven't got to do).

Your first point of contact should be the local area housing office.

Hope that helps
    Phil

PS: Professional information troll lol

found it. here you go, this shows councils have been given the money to help you.
    http://www.dwp.gov.uk/newsroom/press...wp145-11.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Jen66 View Post
    I already have a wet room with shower downstairs that I paid for myself. But it also contains the toilet. Once you've had a shower in there everything is wet and slippery for around 2 hours. But I have to have baths for pain management which means going upstairs and using a step system I had made in order to get in the bath. I wondered if any funding could be part made and I'll pay the rest to get a walk in bath installed.
    Apparently some care packages can provide help with getting in and out of the bath. Check out the info in this blog post;
    http://stillslife.wordpress.com/2012...s-and-support/

Thank you.

I have started the ball rolling