Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adaptations grant- criteria + powered wheelchair disaster

Another thing to consider. DFG is not automatic. Local authoritys have a fixed pot of money and when its gone, its gone. Also do you own your home or rent? DFG means you are tied to the property for 5 years, if its rental. I looked into it - I can't predict how my health will change in 5 years!
    So yeah, didn't go down that road either. Thankfully, with the work the landlord did and the ramp I bought, entering and exiting is easier and I CAN manage on my own.

You don't need your boss's permission to contact Access to Work so it may be worth doing that just to get their input. In my experience you need to ask for something specifically to get things rolling but once someone has come out to do something (e.g. Workstation assessment) you can then ask about other things and they may put recommendations in the report. Your employer may need to contribute but it's harder for them to say no to those sort of recommendations in a report from a 3rd party than when you ask yourselves (at least that's what I've found).

I had a workstation assessment last September but despite my employer agreeing on principle nothing got ordered due to red tape and procurement policies so ArW suggested a review. I already had chair and special mouse but now have height adjustable desk, monitor arm and mouse touchpad on order (existing mouse was aggravating shoulder pain) plus the assessor has made recommendation for a wheelchair assessment and also for an accessibility audit as there are problems with doors.

It sounds as though your boss needs some disability awareness training. Don't know what he/she would make of my office - there's me going around on my scooter, someone else with a guide dog and another wheelie part time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaff79 View Post
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm sorry others have experienced similar, and I feel a bit better about just stopping that route. It felt childish to just dismiss it, but now looks like the right thing to do. Life's tough enough without putting myself through all that with no realistic outcome.

I broached the subject at work and my boss suggested that if I need a wheelchair indoors for moving around the office, then maybe this is not the right job. He thinks a reasonable adjustment would be for me to do a different job. Argh!
    Your boss should be aware that it's illegal to sack someone because they have a disability. It's not unreasonable for your work to make adjustments for you in order to work there. It's totally out of order for them to threaten you with the sack. The DDA act clearly states it's illegal.

Are you part of the Union? You should speak to a rep if you are.

I agree with what you say in principle but it's worth pointing out that the DDA was replaced by the Equality Act in 2010 (unless you're in Northern Ireland).

Thanks CTCELT88. I have unfortunately come to expect discrimination at work now. Just because something is illegal, doesn't stop a lot of people thinking it and a few doing it. Just like racism, only disability discrimination feels acceptable still to some people.

I'm on my 4th job in the 4 years I have been disabled, 2 of which ended in financial settlements (not the massive payouts you hear in the news but tiny sums I took whilst out of work, confidence rock bottom and in fear I would lose my home). The 3rd job could also have ended the same way as I had evidence but just didn't have the will to fight. I'm in the union and I'm keeping notes again but, this manager has been really supportive. He doesn't necessarily know that the way he is saying something or what he is putting across is actually wrong. I don't think the adjustment is unreasonable but don't know what to do next.