Thread: Assessment with healthcare professional

Assessment with healthcare professional

Hi, I've been on ESA for a long time (longer than I care to remember) due to issues with depression. I was recently required to fill out a medical questionnaire which I sent to them.

They've now asked me to come in for an assessment for which they gave me less than one week's notice which I thought was a bit unusual.

Should I be concerned with the sudden requirement for an assessment? I thought I explained everything I needed to in the questionnaire and I had a note from my Dr. supporting me.

Needless to say, I'm concerned. What can I expect at the assessment?

Quote Originally Posted by breadliner View Post
    Hi, I've been on ESA for a long time (longer than I care to remember) due to issues with depression. I was recently required to fill out a medical questionnaire which I sent to them.

They've now asked me to come in for an assessment for which they gave me less than one week's notice which I thought was a bit unusual.

Should I be concerned with the sudden requirement for an assessment? I thought I explained everything I needed to in the questionnaire and I had a note from my Dr. supporting me.

Needless to say, I'm concerned. What can I expect at the assessment?
    If that appointment is not convenient for you or you wish to have the F2F Farce Audio recorded (which usually cuts down on the number of lies they tell) these options will result in another appointment at a later date,

For my last WCA they only gave 2 weeks notice, which after changing the assessment centre and requesting an audio recording resulted in an extra week

Just a pity that the DWP aren't as quick and efficient in processing MR's for those who score 0 points at their WCA

Everyone on ESA is subject to a reassessment at some time, it usually depends on when your last decision was made, but can be at the DWPs discretion.
    Some people have to have a reassessment every 6 months, some not for years, it depends on what 'prognosis date' was awarded at the last decision.
    For the last few years they have been automatically extending some prognosis dates, to cut down the waiting lists, often without informing the claimant.
    (I have had this done 3 times now).
    Eventually though they will want to reassess us all.

Maximus, who do the assessments now, have been told by the government to do more face to face reassessments as standard, and less on the paperwork only.
    So they tend to (eventually) ask everybody to go for reassessment, unless it is very clear that they could not manage to attend.

If you are not physically or mentally capable of attending then you should ring them and ask for a home assessment, but you will need a doctors letter to support why you cannot attend.

They are supposed to give at least 7 days notice of a WCA appointment, unless you have ticked the box that says you will take one at shorter notice if one becomes available, e.g. if someone else cancels.

As for what to expect; this information from Disability Rights UK is all about ESA, if you go to section 4 that explains what happens to your questionaire and what to expect at the assessment itself.
    Further down it also list all the descriptors that you are being assessed on and the points that they score.
    http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/wo...ity-assessment
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks for the helpful responses. I'm concerned after hearing about how they (Maximus?) decided a woman in a coma was capable of work.

Don't be too concerned about these scare stories that you occasionally see.

There are thousands of ESA claims that go through with no problems, but you don't see those reported - they would not make shocking headlines.

Remember also that what you see here and on other forums are only the cases where someone has a problem.
    When there is no problem then they don't need to come and ask for advice, it can make things look one sided and worse than they actually are.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.