Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electronic handbreak headache

Electronic handbreak headache

I get my new car on Tuesday the Nissan qq and the dreaded electronic handbreak is giving me nightmares especially as I live on a hill, any one got any hints or tips I have test drove the car but didn't have to do any hill starts so very nervous now.

Just read the handbook.

See below
    Last edited by wazza; 15-05-16 at 07:45.

Just read the handbook.

On my zafira tourer se auto it has an electric handbrake. You can leave the handbrake on. When you set off it switches of the handbrake automatiically. Ideal for hill start. Renault and citroen had the same features when I drove them years ago.

On the Ford Galaxy if you press the brake pedal hard a beep is heard and a message appears on the display that hill start assist is activated.

Don't worry it is in your handbook. The dealer should go through the controls at the handover.

Happy motoring.

New technology not suited to all

`I drive an Automatic Renault Scenic which has an electronic handbrake.

When the car is in drive mode and I brake to slow down at say traffic lights - once stopped I pull a small lever about half an inch with my middle finger and the handbrake is applied. The little lever has a small red button that is lit up when the handbrake is on.

To release the handbrake simply touch or tap the accelerator - it's that simple.

Automatics will crawl forward on the flat even without touching an accelerator so that's why you need to apple the handbrake on put the gear in neutral.

Hill starts are simple. When stopped facing up a hill - put the handbrake on which holds the car. When you want to move off just press on the accelerator which automatically releases the handbrake.

One thing to check?

My VW Golf has an Electronic HB but it works hand in hand with Auto Hold and if Auto-Hold is turned off then the EHB becomes a standard handbrake operating the same as a manual handbrake does except with a very small lever.

Just to add how effective an EHB can be, I have not touch my HB for a year and a half now.
    Last edited by ChrisK; 15-05-16 at 11:38.

Here here Chris K my bmw has the same with auto hold I only use the full normal handbrake when I'm parked now I love it!

Sorry I'm a bit thick with cars but it also has stop start button and not 100% sure what that is.

It erm starts and stops the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol757 View Post
    Sorry I'm a bit thick with cars but it also has stop start button and not 100% sure what that is.
    Stop / Start is a save the World technology and when turned on the engine will turn itself off when idling in traffic jams or at red lights to save pollution and when you get the green light to go a touch of the clutch or in automatics a touch of the gas will automatically restart the car.

A lot of folk don’t like it and think it puts a strain on the starting motor and battery but tech is built in to stop problems with heavy duty starting motors and an over ride should the battery be over taxed.

With my car it’s on by default but can be turned off at the start of each journey but it sounds like yours is simply turned on or off.