Thread: housing benefit and council tax benefit

housing benefit and council tax benefit

hi can anyone tell me if my son needs to pay towards the housing benefit me and my husband are on esa support group and get full housing benefit but my son is about to start 16 hour job earning 430.00 per month can you tell me if he would have to pay towards the benefits and how much he would need to pay he is 19 years old thank you

Your son is classed as a non dependent and therefore a deduction in your housing benefit may be made.

If you or your partner are receiving certain other benefits like DLA/PIP/AA (check the link for details) there will not be a deduction made.

There is a sliding scale for the amount deducted according to what he earns.

Have a read of this for the details and the amounts.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...e_in_your_home

For council tax there may be a similar deduction but each council have their own rules so you need to look on your local council's website.

The amount is deducted from your HB/CT so you will receive less HB/CT.

it is expected that your son will contribute to the household and the amount lost would be made up by his contribution (plus more for food/utilities) so when setting his contribution you need to make him aware of this.

Please note though that you and your partner are still the ones liable for the rent, not your son. He should make up the shortfall in his contribution so you can pay the rent/CT.

You need to contact the council and let them know that he is starting work and how much he will be earning. (even if you are exempt for some reason) If you don't inform the council of the change of circumstances they will automatically deduct the highest amount for a non dependent!

thank you for that pmlindyloo my husband receives esa support group and dla for his disabilitys i will enquire about the housing benefit as we pay 30.0 per month for council tax he wont be earning enough to pay income tax neither he will get 430.00 a month 100.00 per week